Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[SOLVED] Extracting video bios blob from bios update

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
mithodin

[SOLVED] Extracting video bios blob from bios update

#1 Post by mithodin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:31 am

I have coreboot installed on my T430s. Recently, I upgraded my screen using the WQHD upgrade kit. Now, I need to change the video initialization from native to vga bios option rom. This needs a binary blob from the original bios (see https://www.coreboot.org/VGA_support#Ho ... video_bios). However, I have not managed to extract the actual rom from a lenovo bios update. All I found in the iso and exe is a $01D8000.FL1 and $01D8000.FL2 file, which according to google contains the rom, but compressed somehow. I have tried the phcomp.exe tool, but the resulting files still do not work with bios_extract.
Is there a reliable way to extract the rom from the firmware update package? Or, if this is not easily doable, is there a place where I can download the rom?
Last edited by mithodin on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaspen-meyer

Re: Extracting video bios blob from bios update

#2 Post by jaspen-meyer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:54 pm

mithodin wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:31 am
I have coreboot installed on my T430s. Recently, I upgraded my screen using the WQHD upgrade kit. Now, I need to change the video initialization from native to vga bios option rom. This needs a binary blob from the original bios (see https://www.coreboot.org/VGA_support#Ho ... video_bios). However, I have not managed to extract the actual rom from a lenovo bios update. All I found in the iso and exe is a $01D8000.FL1 and $01D8000.FL2 file, which according to google contains the rom, but compressed somehow. I have tried the phcomp.exe tool, but the resulting files still do not work with bios_extract.
Is there a reliable way to extract the rom from the firmware update package? Or, if this is not easily doable, is there a place where I can download the rom?
There are several options listed on the page you linked to. Do you have the original lenovo rom? You likely saved this just before flashing coreboot.
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

mithodin

#3 Post by mithodin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:00 am

I tried all the ways available to me. Yes, I have a backup of the original rom, but the script failed to extract anything from it.

mithodin

#4 Post by mithodin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 am

I went through all the options again and was finally successful with extraction from the original rom. I needed to use UEFITool as described here.