Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Failed EC firmware mod flash

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
Dongers

Failed EC firmware mod flash

#1 Post by Dongers » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:41 pm

T430 with classic keyboard and EC battery mod, all working fine

Classic keyboard space bar was sticking, so while i wait for my replacement to arrive, decided to put old chiclet KB back on it.

Created new EC firmware from source on github, removed all keyboard mods with the OFF selection, kept battery mod on (i have a cheap chinese battery as well as my Lenovo ones that i use) and re-flashed. Have previously flashed back to put chiclet KB onto X230, so didnt foresee any issues

All looked OK with the flash, but instead of rebooting after, it appeared that the 430 powered off. It was plugged into a 90w PSU and had a pretty much full (3rd Party) battery
in it at the time, so should have been no issues about power into it.

On powering back on, i get about 5 seconds of fan action and a brief flash of the Thinklight and that's about it. T430 is dead.

Has anyone seen this before or have any tips on recovery?

Any way to re-flash using clip on the BIOS chip(i had just ordered one to flash a new modded BIOS anyway), so not concerned about stripping it down if needs be, but just not sure of how i can just flash the EC using a clip, as not seen anyone having to do this previously...?

Cheers

Dongers

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Failed EC firmware mod flash

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:34 am

Try and redo the EC flash with a proper Lenovo battery and the classic keyboard in it.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Dongers

Re: Failed EC firmware mod flash

#3 Post by Dongers » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Doesn't stay on long enough to even attempt to boot from anything so think that is a no go....

Swapped the mobo out now with a replacement from fleabay, so have a duff 430 mobo sat around now.

I was looking at coreboot for the 430 anyway, so may now just try and reflash via hardware....

Cheers

Dongers