Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Failed T440p BIOS update

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
TheAdmiral

Failed T440p BIOS update

#1 Post by TheAdmiral » Mon May 07, 2018 8:36 am

*First time on this site, so apologies for any formatting irregularities*

Hey all, I purchased a T440p recently and was spending the past several days getting it all set up. As per usual, this included making sure it was running the latest BIOS. I've never run into an issue with this before, so I used Lenovo's executable as per usual. The program launched and did its thing before automatically restarting. This is where the problem arises.

I once it rebooted, the screen was blank, as i recall it doing while flashing the new BIOS. I left it sitting there for about 3 hours while i did other things. When i returned, the screen was still blank while the device remained on. Pressing keys offered no response, and hitting power IMMEDIATELY powers off the unit, so it's not that the display is just receiving no signal. Somehow, it failed to properly flash the new BIOS.

Obviously, I tried going through the usual routine of removing the battery and CMOS battery, draining any remaining power, and then reattempting a reboot. Nothing. Looking online, I can't seem to find a way to recover the BIOS on anything newer than a T400, which could apparently use the WINCRISIS software. I've seen no evidence of this working on newer thinkpads, and i couldn't get it to work on mine.

Now my question is, is there actually anything I can do to fix it, and how much is it gonna take? I'd really hate to have to track down another motherboard for this thing, as finding one with a GT730m was a bit annoying as it is.

Any and all help is appreciated! :thumbs-UP:

-Ahab

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

Re: Failed T440p BIOS update

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon May 07, 2018 9:32 am

Welcome to the Forum.
Did you flash from within Windows? Most likely W10?
Then there is your first source of problems.
Another one could be a bug in the BIOS-update.

ALWAYS look for a bootable CD, such as this: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/prod ... s/ds037576
Burn that .iso using e.g. ImgBurn.
Get an external USB-burner if you don't have one.

Try removing your HD/SSD and if you have it, also a second drive from the WLAN slot.
If it's in a docking station, remove that as well.
Try to boot and press F1 to go into BIOS.
Any luck?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

TheAdmiral

#3 Post by TheAdmiral » Mon May 07, 2018 11:42 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:32 am
Welcome to the Forum.
Did you flash from within Windows? Most likely W10?
Then there is your first source of problems.
Another one could be a bug in the BIOS-update.

ALWAYS look for a bootable CD, such as this: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/prod ... s/ds037576
Burn that .iso using e.g. ImgBurn.
Get an external USB-burner if you don't have one.

Try removing your HD/SSD and if you have it, also a second drive from the WLAN slot.
If it's in a docking station, remove that as well.
Try to boot and press F1 to go into BIOS.
Any luck?

Yes, I did the initial flash from inside windows. I had no reason to believe this wouldn't work, as it gave me no problems on my last two thinkpads. (and yes, it was windows 10)
I have attempted the bootable CD iso as per suggested, on both a CD-R and a flash drive formatted in FAT.
Even when used in conjunction with Fn +B/R (apparently hard wire triggers on older thinkpads for this kind of thing), nothing happens. the USB never shows as reading data, although it does show it's getting power. The Disc on the other hand, does spin up for a while, and i can hear the laser scan it a couple times, but then it spools back down and stops.

I guess I should have mentioned that when I say the screen is "blank", I mean that the display doesn't even turn on. pressing F1 to access BIOS gives no response.

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon May 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Download the T440p manual from the HMM link above, check pages 25-26-27.
Try a reset as mentioned there.