Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SSD options on a T440

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
Post Reply
Message
Author
rdrake
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:47 pm
Location: Kingsville, Canada

SSD options on a T440

#1 Post by rdrake » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:48 pm

What are the SSD connection options on the T440 (NOT "s" or "p")? I cracked open the case and it looks like an mSATA slot next to the network card. I checked another forum and they claim its not an mSATA socket but a M.2 socket. I only saw two connectors not three. Which is correct? I'd prefer to use this over replacing the hard drive. Also, would it be sata III or II?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 19446
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 am
Location: Mt. Cobb, PA
Contact:

Re: SSD options on a T440

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:34 pm

You can have 3 drives in a T440 if you like.
- HDD/SSD in main drive bay
- M.2 SSD in WWAN-slot
- Ultrabay SATA adapter with HDD/SSD instead of CD/DVD
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

axur-delmeria
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:49 am
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines

Re: SSD options on a T440

#3 Post by axur-delmeria » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:48 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:34 pm
- M.2 SSD in WWAN-slot
To further expound on that: the T440 supports an M.2 2242 (22mm x 42mm size) SATA SSD. I'm sure of this because I installed one (Transcend MTS400) in a friend's T440 earlier this year. It's not a common size though-- most M.2 SSDs are 2280 (22mm x 80mm size)-- which means that product choices are limited, and prices might be higher.


I don't know if M.2 2242 NVMe SSDs like the Toshiba RC100 will work, because I'm not 100% sure if the T440's WWAN slot has PCIe signals wired in--theoretically, it should, as it's a B-key slot, but I haven't found board schematics to verify this.

And even if it does have PCIe signals wired in, it's very likely that the BIOS/UEFI doesn't have boot support for NVMe. I'm still investigating if any workarounds exist, but won't be able to test them myself as I have neither a T440 nor an NVMe SSD.
Daily driver: X220 4291-C91 i7-2620M

Backup: X220 4291-P79 i5-2520M
Toy: X60F Core Solo U1300
In pieces: two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E; X61 7676-A24; and a BOE-Hydis HV121P01-100 in failed SXGA+ mod
:cry:

rdrake
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:47 pm
Location: Kingsville, Canada

Re: SSD options on a T440

#4 Post by rdrake » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Just to get things straight, the WWAN slot on the T440 is M.2. The one on the T430 is mSATA right? They look the same (I have both).

axur-delmeria
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:49 am
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines

Re: SSD options on a T440

#5 Post by axur-delmeria » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:16 pm

rdrake wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:15 pm
Just to get things straight, the WWAN slot on the T440 is M.2. The one on the T430 is mSATA right? They look the same (I have both).
They look similar in the sense that they're bare circuit board SSDs, but they do not look the same.

Comparison image: http://www.thessdreview.com/wp-content/ ... arison.jpg

M.2 2242 SATA SSD on the top left, mSATA SSD on the top right, and M.2 2280 SATA SSD at the bottom.

The mSATA SSD is longer and wider than M.2 2242.
Daily driver: X220 4291-C91 i7-2620M

Backup: X220 4291-P79 i5-2520M
Toy: X60F Core Solo U1300
In pieces: two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E; X61 7676-A24; and a BOE-Hydis HV121P01-100 in failed SXGA+ mod
:cry:

rdrake
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:47 pm
Location: Kingsville, Canada

Re: SSD options on a T440

#6 Post by rdrake » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:58 am

I mean the sockets look the same, the cards look very different (2 vs 3 "pins").

kacperas
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: SSD options on a T440

#7 Post by kacperas » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:40 am

rdrake wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:48 pm
What are the SSD connection options on the T440 (NOT "s" or "p")? I cracked open the case and it looks like an mSATA slot next to the network card. I checked another forum and they claim its not an mSATA socket but a M.2 socket. I only saw two connectors not three. Which is correct? I'd prefer to use this over replacing the hard drive. Also, would it be sata III or II?
I've owned T440 for some time. You can install up to three disks:
- Main bay: 2.5" wide SSD/HDD SATAIII up to 9.5mm high.
- LTE port: M.2 2242 SATAIII double sided SSD.
- Additional M.2 2242 SSD can be installed under internal battery. A special cable and adapter are required however. Please do note, that this adapter was designed for single sided SSD, so it might be a bit tight to install double sided SSD in it. And you can't use this adapter and Smart card reader at the same time, as they're installed in the same place.
IBM 390X(W95/W98SE) | T23(W2K/XP) | R51(WXP)
Lenovo R61(WXP/Vista) | T540p(W7/W8.1/W10)

rdrake
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:47 pm
Location: Kingsville, Canada

Re: SSD options on a T440

#8 Post by rdrake » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:55 am

kacperas wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:40 am
rdrake wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:48 pm
What are the SSD connection options on the T440 (NOT "s" or "p")? I cracked open the case and it looks like an mSATA slot next to the network card. I checked another forum and they claim its not an mSATA socket but a M.2 socket. I only saw two connectors not three. Which is correct? I'd prefer to use this over replacing the hard drive. Also, would it be sata III or II?
I've owned T440 for some time. You can install up to three disks:
- Main bay: 2.5" wide SSD/HDD SATAIII up to 9.5mm high.
- LTE port: M.2 2242 SATAIII double sided SSD.
- Additional M.2 2242 SSD can be installed under internal battery. A special cable and adapter are required however. Please do note, that this adapter was designed for single sided SSD, so it might be a bit tight to install double sided SSD in it. And you can't use this adapter and Smart card reader at the same time, as they're installed in the same place.
There is no connection under my T440, just empty metal.

kacperas
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: SSD options on a T440

#9 Post by kacperas » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:13 am

Adapter and cable were added only, if your laptop had a 16GB SSD cache disk for HDD. However, you can buy and install them if you want:
  • FRU: 04X3827, Rogue-2 FRU 3rd NGFF SSD adapter.
  • FRU: 00HM184 / 00HT883, Cobain 3rd NGFF Cable.
IBM 390X(W95/W98SE) | T23(W2K/XP) | R51(WXP)
Lenovo R61(WXP/Vista) | T540p(W7/W8.1/W10)

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “ThinkPad T430/T530 and later Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Emulle and 5 guests