Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Random Speaker Noise

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
ibenzawla

Random Speaker Noise

#1 Post by ibenzawla » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:42 am

Hi, I have this weird issue with my T450s running Windows 10 Pro. There are random crackling/popping noise that comes from the speaker when listening to audio and its driving me crazy. It appears to happen when on battery mode and especially when scrolling or doing other stuff. Its tiny cracking or popping sound from the speakers. I have also noticed this same problem with other Thinkpads I have used running Windows: T420, T520, W500, T60 and so on plus they all seem to have the Realtek driver. I did install some audio enhancers and it helps sometimes but not all the time. Its obviously a software issue as it doesn't happen on Linux running on the same computer. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

thewezel

Re: Random Speaker Noise

#2 Post by thewezel » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:15 am

I've been having a similar if not exact same issue on my t420. I still cant figure it out. Anybody?

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#3 Post by BillMorrow » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:19 am

seems pretty obvious it is related to the recent OS/drive updates..
if it were me, on one of my X1C extremes (so far both are working wonderfully) i would try a new driver..
a suppose all who are having this issue have tried win updates and so forth.. ?
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

ibenzawla

#4 Post by ibenzawla » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:44 am

thewezel wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:15 am
I've been having a similar if not exact same issue on my t420. I still cant figure it out. Anybody?
Hi, I managed to come across a fix for this issue on my T440s. I must say first of all that it is not a guaranteed fix for all computers. I say so because it did not fix my other Thinkpads (T520, X220...) but this is what I did: I created a new power plan. I then changed the 'Minimum process state' to 100% for both 'battery' and 'plugged in' under Advanced Power Settings. Doesn't hurt to try.

ibenzawla

#5 Post by ibenzawla » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:54 am

BillMorrow wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:19 am
seems pretty obvious it is related to the recent OS/drive updates..
if it were me, on one of my X1C extremes (so far both are working wonderfully) i would try a new driver..
a suppose all who are having this issue have tried win updates and so forth.. ?

I tried everything but no luck. Some drivers worked for a while but the issue reappeared later. Changing the 'Minimum Processor State' from 5% to 100% under 'Advanced Power Settings' solved it form me on my T440s. No audio issues for months now and I have had all kinds of Windows updates. The installed Realtek Driver software is 6.0.8907.1 of 03/03/2020 and its possible that Windows and Realtek buried a fix somewhere considering how widespread the issue is. I have lots of Thinkpads lying around that cannot run Windows due to this issue. But then I am 50% Linux and so all is well.

atagunov

#6 Post by atagunov » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:51 am

UCA202 or Jabra? :) My response in another thread
X220, 2 *T520

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#7 Post by BillMorrow » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:27 pm

all these disparate parts, software, drivers, hardware, ambient barometric pressure, state of the economy all seem to confuse one another..
maybe it is time for a check engine type of light.. ? :)
which is why i now drive old cars.. less complex, easy to deal with with a flat blade screw driver and a pair of pliers.. :roll:

again, if it were me i would diddle with settings, bios level, windows version or rev level, maybe on a non essential thinkpad to see where the issue lays..

now i take my '59 cadillac to the barber for a haircut and put the top down to enjoy indian summer and the clear air.. :eek:
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

atagunov

#8 Post by atagunov » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:48 pm

BillMorrow wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:27 pm
which is why i now drive old cars.. less complex, easy to deal with with a flat blade screw driver and a pair of pliers.. :roll:
Unfortunately this doesn't quite work in London. I just had to sell my year 2000 Ford Focus because it was Euro 2.
You will require >= Euro 4 in order to drive within 10 miles of central London in 2021 (ultra light emission zone will be extended)
X220, 2 *T520

thewezel

#9 Post by thewezel » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:15 pm

ibenzawla wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:44 am
thewezel wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:15 am
Hi, I managed to come across a fix for this issue on my T440s. I must say first of all that it is not a guaranteed fix for all computers. I say so because it did not fix my other Thinkpads (T520, X220...) but this is what I did: I created a new power plan. I then changed the 'Minimum process state' to 100% for both 'battery' and 'plugged in' under Advanced Power Settings. Doesn't hurt to try.
I'll give it a try. I did a reinstall for the sake of sanity, and it came back just now as im typing this while playing spotify. Granted, I installed the power management drivers and some drivers over on a reddit post. if you do a duck search for it it'll be the first result, and it seems to be a lot better now. I've heard things like ethernet and wireless interference (driver issues). From my recollection of troubleshooting in the past they only seemed to help. I'll try your solution and get back to everybody after about a week and then again another month with my report.

Long live the T420!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:53 am

atagunov wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:48 pm
Unfortunately this doesn't quite work in London. I just had to sell my year 2000 Ford Focus because it was Euro 2.
You will require >= Euro 4 in order to drive within 10 miles of central London in 2021 (ultra light emission zone will be extended)
If not, that costs another £12.50 on top of the daily Congestion Charge of £15.-
Well done, London! :evil:
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)