Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Is it possible for a docking station to break the laptop?

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
DaddyLongLegs

Is it possible for a docking station to break the laptop?

#1 Post by DaddyLongLegs » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:21 pm

Hello. I have a Thinkpad T470 and it worked fine for a few weeks. Just today I received my docking station for it and plugged it in for use with my external monitor. Everything was going great until I noticed that the battery, while it said "charging", was still losing percentage in battery.

I undocked it, which rebooted the laptop, which I thought was weird. At this point I noticed that every time I docked or undocked the laptop, it caused the laptop to reboot. I had a T420 with a docking station and that never happened before.

When I plugged the laptop in directly, I noticed it no longer charges. If I plug the cord directly into the laptop, it's like nothing is plugged in.

If I put the laptop back in the dock, it will say it's charging, but it's not. The battery lost all its charge, and now my laptop no longer boots.

I went through tech support and they had me reset my battery and all that and nothing worked. I even tried a new power cord.

My question is:

1) why did my dock cause my laptop to reboot every time I docked/undocked it?

2) Could the dock really cause my laptop to completely stop charging? It's a 40A1 docking station. I am using a genuine 20V adapter with it. The FRU is FRU 04W3948.

I am getting a replacement T470 but I am worried I am going to ruin that one too and would really appreciate some advice. Thank you!

Utwig

Re: Is it possible for a docking station to break the laptop?

#2 Post by Utwig » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:12 pm

It could be the dock itself, I would take both dock and comp to service - when I worked as a techie and person had problem with laptop and was using a dock I always grabbed his/her dock to test with.
T540p, T420s, T400, R61, X61t, T60p, T42p, A21p