Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T540P Keyboard Issue - Enter Key and Spacebar doing things they shouldn't

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
Skittles

T540P Keyboard Issue - Enter Key and Spacebar doing things they shouldn't

#1 Post by Skittles » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:27 pm

I've had like 10 different Thinkpads, and now I have this T540P with a fresh install of Windows 10 and Office 2016 + Adobe CS6, and I'm going nuts trying to get the keyboard to work. A USB keyboard works perfectly, but the one on the laptop has issues with the Enter key and the Spacebar:

Ever since I got this thing, when typing in Microsoft Office, hitting Enter moves the cursor UP a line instead of down. The spacebar does a hard-to-explain page-jump thing (moves down several lines, then moves back up when you type another letter). These problems happen in Office (Word, Excel, etc.) and in Wordpad, as well as on browsers AND in the BIOS setup utility. But Notepad works fine, and InDesign is fine. And again, using a USB keyboard works fine, and the Enter key on the 10-key pad works fine.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard drivers, checking all the Ease of Access settings (Sticky Keys, etc. are OFF). Checked all the settings in Word I could find. I downloaded a keyboard mapping tool thinking I could maybe map it properly, but the tool doesn't show any problem with the keys. The guy I got the computer from (online) insists it has something to do with Sticky Keys that I keep turning on (like I don't know how to use a computer) and can't seem to hear my explanation. I've scoured the internet for clues as to what is causing this and how I can fix it, and I've found nothing. Any ideas?

GrifterGuru
Sophomore Member

Re: T540P Keyboard Issue - Enter Key and Spacebar doing things they shouldn't

#2 Post by GrifterGuru » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:09 pm

Questions:

1) Has the keyboard ever seen any form of liquid (anything spilt on it)?
2) Have you moved the TP between extreme cool and warmth and created condensate in the tracings for the KB? (Would affect other parts of system, so not conclusive)
3) Have you tried a fresh install of your OS on a different HDD/SSD to see if the problem persists?
4) Do you have any programs installed that could potentially be causing the issue?
5) Have you run the Lenovo KB check tool? (available HERE>> Official Lenovo KB Diagnostic Tool Download )
See also here for official T540p software, hardware drivers and Diagnostic tool D/L's >> Official Lenovo T540p Page

6) Has the KB always behaved in this way? If so, it may have been like that before/at the time of purchase.
7) Do you have any way to check if the KB ribbon is seated properly in the connection port on the Mobo without voiding any warranty/Guarantee?
8) Have you f9'd the BIOS (Reset to factory settings AFTER noting current settings) to see if that helps?

*Mobo = Motherboard

If you have exhausted all of the above and it is still behaving oddly, chances are it may be a faulty KB, in which case, reject the item as unfit for purpose (not as advertised) and seek a resolution with the seller.

*** EDIT ***
I have just tried re-creating the issue you describe with (basic and quick) key combo's in word 2007 and have yet to be able to replicate the symptom/s, which leads me to thinking it may well be a software/driver issue...

Ctrl+Enter/Return = Next page/New Page in word 2007
Alt+Delete/Backspace = undo in word 2007

As an aside, are there any other text based programs you could try to see if it behaves the same? (Notepad++ is a good text editor btw)
*** EDIT ***
X31 2672-58G, M73 10AXS, M73 10AXS i7, L412 4403-72G i5,T420 4236-9N8 i7-2630QM, T430 2349-TDG, X201 3680-C85, X220 42902
Install Mojave on X220 & T420

Skittles

#3 Post by Skittles » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:39 am

Hey, GrifterGuru, thanks for the troubleshooting help. I got tired of messing around with it and I wanted a backlit keyboard anyway, so risked $40 and got one and installed it. It works perfectly. I have no idea what was wrong with the other one!

ivan8

#4 Post by ivan8 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:54 pm

Hi. i think i solved (read EDIT below) a similar issue (both space and down keys acting as space+down (one key press, both actions)) by going here and updating WinTab driver (???)
I have thinkpad Yoga 12.
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/prod ... 20Keyboard
I LOVE this laptop but it's annoying having keyboard problems on every new update (Windows, etc). Last was with Ctrl/Fn key being locked from the first press.
Pls excuse my bad english.
Regards.
EDIT: darn. After rebooting next day it goes bad again. Space key does space+down. Very annoying.