Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Info t460

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
ThinkGreen
Freshman Member

Info t460

#1 Post by ThinkGreen » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:30 am

Hi, to upgrade my old X220 I'm wondering to buy a T460, as I found one at a price of 300 euro (unfortunately NOT the full HD version).
Could it be a real improvement at a good price ?

These are the specifications:
-display 14" HD
-Intel I7 6500U
-Ram 16 Gb DDR3
-SSD Corsair 240 Gb
-Nvidia GeForce 940MX con 2 gb dedicati
-Double battery (integrated + removable)
-ITA backlit keyboard
Be happy if You have some doubts.

turomini
Freshman Member

Re: Info t460

#2 Post by turomini » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi ThinkGreen,

This subforum is specific to the T 400 - 420 and T500 - T520 series. The X220 and T460 are both outside the scope of this forum.
We may not have the information you are looking for.

The other issue with your post is if the upgrade is worth it. Only you can really make that decision. We do not know how you use your current laptop, and if maybe you do need a newer laptop.
I'm still using a slightly upgraded T420s, which is working perfectly for my needs right now, but I know that if I want to run some heavier programs, or I want better battery life, I will need to upgrade.

My opinion though is the T460 isn't a good upgrade given the specs you listed.

-display 14" HD
X220 is a 12" screen, but the X220 can have a wide range of screens in them, so we can't compare
-Intel I7 6500U
This is an improvement but still a dual core, 2.5GHz processor, which isn't that much higher than what a max spec X220 can have. Main improvement will be the graphics processor
-Ram 16 Gb DDR3
I think the X220 can support this exact RAM, I know I am running it in my T420s.
-SSD Corsair 240 Gb
Ignore the hard drive, they are so easy to change that you can run whatever hard drive you want
-Nvidia GeForce 940MX con 2 gb dedicati
Do you do any heavy graphics processing? If you only use the laptop for word documents and videos, then its not worth it.
If you use autocad, or some other heavy graphics programs, than yes probably upgrade. I doubt anyone is exactly buying these laptops to game on.
-Double battery (integrated + removable)
X220 battery life is decent, but the batteries are harder to get. The T460 will have easier to replace batteries.
Are you using this somewhere that you can't plug the laptop in?
-ITA backlit keyboard
X220 has a ThinkLight, unless its the X220t. This is a matter of preference.
Now the catch, the X220 is one of the last Thinkpads with the classic keyboards. I think there will be an adjustment period going from the X220 to a T460 keyboard. You can google a picture of the T460 keyboard, and read reviews about it. I haven't used the updated keyboard to give you my take on this, and if its a worthy upgrade. This is personnel preference anyway.

In summary, its not much of an upgrade except in a few areas. The T460 isn't using DDR4, probably doesn't have the latest USB ports, etc. Is it worth upgrading at this point with how much technology changes?

ThinkGreen
Freshman Member

#3 Post by ThinkGreen » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:42 am

Really, really thanks for Your considerations.

I'd like more battery life and a better display quality... but at the same time I'm afraid to leave the very great keyboard quality of my X220.
Be happy if You have some doubts.

turomini
Freshman Member

#4 Post by turomini » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:06 am

I don't know if this is an option, but I do see Thinkpads for sale in local stores to me, and they usually have at least one on display.
If you do have that option, go to that store and just play around on the laptop. The newest Thinkpads have the same or similar keyboard to the T460 you are thinking about.

The other option is to just update the display and batteries in the X220. I would check out the X220 forum for that information.