Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Blew my T430s's keyboard backlight fuse, need help

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
matthew28845

Blew my T430s's keyboard backlight fuse, need help

#1 Post by matthew28845 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:14 pm

I made a stupid mistake today. I tried installing the keyboard from my T500 onto my T430s just for fun. And it worked! But when I put back the keyboard from the T430s, the keyboard backlight no longer worked. The keyboard works just fine including the other lights on it, but the backlight doesn't. From what I've read, it looks like I blew some fuse on the motherboard and I'll have to either short the fuse and be careful or buy a new one. Where is the fuse I need to change and which one is it?
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon G7, Lenovo ThinkPad T25, lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon G2, lenovo ThinkPad T430s, lenovo ThinkPad X201, IBM ThinkPad T43, IBM ThinkPad A21m, IBM ThinkPad 385XD

matthew28845

Re: Blew my T430s's keyboard backlight fuse, need help

#2 Post by matthew28845 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:31 pm

So I went along and figured this out myself, and I'll post the procedure here if anyone else has done this.

I used Lenovo's hardware maintenance manual as a disassembly guide. The 2 problems I noticed with it were that there's an extra screw for the fingerprint scanner for the palmrest, because my computer doesn't have the fingerprint scanner mine was missing this screw completely. Also, you don't need to completely remove the cable for the wireless switch board, just unplug the connector that goes to the motherboard.

The fuse that blew was F28, which is a really small fuse by the ultrabay SATA connector. It's labeled on the board, so it's pretty easy to find. I got a small amount of solder onto the tip of my soldering iron, then I just brushed over the fuse a few times until it was covered in solder. I then tested continuity once again to make sure it now made contact, and it did. Everything went back together pretty easily and I'm happy to report that my laptop is now re-assembled and fully functional with the keyboard backlight now working as well! If anyone has any questions about this procedure please feel free to ask.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon G7, Lenovo ThinkPad T25, lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon G2, lenovo ThinkPad T430s, lenovo ThinkPad X201, IBM ThinkPad T43, IBM ThinkPad A21m, IBM ThinkPad 385XD

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:45 pm

You really should replace the fuse, not bridge it. It is fused for a reason. If you feel like carrying around fire hazard of a machine...be my guest, but don't say I didn't warn you. Li-ion batteries really don't like it when you short them out...and neither do thin PCB traces.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

matthew28845

#4 Post by matthew28845 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:45 pm
You really should replace the fuse, not bridge it. It is fused for a reason. If you feel like carrying around fire hazard of a machine...be my guest, but don't say I didn't warn you. Li-ion batteries really don't like it when you short them out...and neither do thin PCB traces.
I'm not skilled enough to replace the fuse, and even if I did there would be no point because I'm only gonna be using the keyboard which is currently in the machine from now on and it's an official Lenovo keyboard so it's unlikely that it'll short out.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:47 pm

matthew28845 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:35 pm
I'm not skilled enough to replace the fuse, and even if I did there would be no point because I'm only gonna be using the keyboard which is currently in the machine from now on and it's an official Lenovo keyboard so it's unlikely that it'll short out.
You don't need to remove the old fuse. You can put the new fuse on top of the old one, then solder it in place.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry: