Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T530 + eGPU issues

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

T530 + eGPU issues

#1 Post by wujstefan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:24 am

Hello,

Just for a bit of fun I have started testing e-GPU on my X230 and T530 (R600 would be next).

It works perfectly well on X230 / Windows 7 with 8gigs of RAM. It needs to be inserted after the boot - otherwise the system hangs on lenovo welcome screen - but other than that it works perfectly, both on external and internal displays.

I also tried this one on T530 / Windows 10, and here comes the trouble. The GPU is well reckognized, the driver installs without an issue, but the GPU simply does not want to work. I can see it in device manager, I can launch furmark and it is in there - but when I launch furmark test it uses integrated GPU (all the time checking temps on an external card). Even trying to set default graphics for an app, HD4000 is set in both "power saving" and in "high performance" options.

The setup is GTX960 + EXP GDC + Dell DA-2 PSU.
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: T530 + eGPU issues

#2 Post by wujstefan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:25 am

A little update - the system runs Furmark with gtx970 after I disable HD4000 in device manager.
However, no other application uses the external GPU. I should check it on external LCD now...
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)