Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Is this a genuine Lenovo T430s keyboard? Or have I been scammed?

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
Uriel718

Is this a genuine Lenovo T430s keyboard? Or have I been scammed?

#1 Post by Uriel718 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:04 pm

About a year ago I purchased a replacement keyboard for my ThinkPad T430s laptop, and I haven't had any problems with it, but today the PgUp broke off. The tiny plastic "hooks" have broken off so I can't reconnect it. This has happened to me before, I have been using ThinkPads for about 15 years so I'm quite used to repairing and maintaining my laptops. However. I had saved my old keyboard as replacement parts and so I took a PgUp key from that and tried to connect it to my current keyboard, but the physical connections are different. I also have a third keyboard that isn't my region and that keyboard also have same connection as my original keyboard. Also the two older keyboards both say Lenovo on the bottom, but my current one doesn't. So I'm concerned that this keyboard is not a genuine Lenovo part. The part numbers are: PARTS NO. 0C01949 & FRU NO. 04X1266. I did find this part on https://support.lenovo.com/fi/en/partslookup/, but that may not mean anything.

My current keyboard that may or may not be genuine Lenovo keyboard:
https://i.imgur.com/oItvmiv.jpg

My current keyboard (top) and my old original keyboard (bottom):

https://i.imgur.com/LWI4Vj9.jpg

My two older keyboards that both say Lenovo:
https://i.imgur.com/PzUnlwY.jpg

EDIT: Resized my images to under 800x600.
Last edited by Uriel718 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ThinkPad T430s - 2356FS1
Screen - B140R102 V1

Uriel718

Re: Is this a genuine Lenovo T430s keyboard? Or have I been scammed?

#2 Post by Uriel718 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:11 pm

And just realized that even the tape is different in my current, may or may not be genuine, keyboard. The current one has white tape, but the older ones that say Lenovo have black tape.

EDIT: So evidence against this being a genuine Lenovo keyboard are: 1. It doesn't say Lenovo. 2. The physical button hooks are different compared to my two older keyboards, that both have same connection despite being different parts, one is US keyboard and one is Finnish keyboard (as is my current one). 3. My current one has different tape, that, at least in my opinion, looks less professional. 4. The plastic back cover is different. 5. The labels are different.
Last edited by Uriel718 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThinkPad T430s - 2356FS1
Screen - B140R102 V1

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:25 pm

Your pics are way tooooooo BIG!! Rules of the forums say nothing bigger than 50KB and/or over 800x600. Also in answer to your question, it is probably legit, there were a few different manufacturers of Thinkpad keyboards for years and they are all slightly different.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Uriel718

#4 Post by Uriel718 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:30 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:25 pm
Your pics are way tooooooo BIG!! Rules of the forums say nothing bigger than 50KB and/or over 800x600. Also in answer to your question, it is probably legit, there were a few different manufacturers of Thinkpad keyboards for years and they are all slightly different.
I resized the images to under 800x600. I'm about 50/50 sure that it's a genuine part, that's also what the seller said when I bought it. And the differences can of course be explained by different manufacturers. Still thought it prudent to try to find a confirmation.
ThinkPad T430s - 2356FS1
Screen - B140R102 V1

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by dr_st » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:07 pm

Here's the list of parts for T430s:
https://it-parts.ru/files/data/uploads/ ... 73229f.pdf

Search for 04X1266 in it, and hopefully it should calm you down.

Lenovo has had multiple keyboard vendors for almost every generation, and the key mechanisms between the vendors have always been different.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Uriel718

#6 Post by Uriel718 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:17 pm

dr_st wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:07 pm
Here's the list of parts for T430s:
https://it-parts.ru/files/data/uploads/ ... 73229f.pdf

Search for 04X1266 in it, and hopefully it should calm you down.

Lenovo has had multiple keyboard vendors for almost every generation, and the key mechanisms between the vendors have always been different.
Yes, as I said in my original post. I did find the part number on a Lenovo parts site. So the validity of the part number was never in question.

However I believe I can consider this matter closed.
ThinkPad T430s - 2356FS1
Screen - B140R102 V1

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by TuuS » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:32 am

Even if the part number is right it does not mean it was authorized by Lenovo. Chinese companies even cheat on other Chinese company copyrights. I'm not bashing on the Chinese people only the business practices Allowed by the government. Please understand this this is nothing against the people of China but I would not trust any new part sold out of China even if shipped from a different country unless it was a genuine NOS part and even though they are counterfeit sometimes. I don't want to alarm you or make you believe you have a fake, but the internet is full of fake batteries with Lenovo logo, Chinese companies have been Manufacturing CPU chips and GPU chips with counterfeit logos even counterfeit retail packaging in some cases. If they will set up a factory to make microprocessors for the black market they will do anything like copy expensive watches fake copies of popular movies, even fake brand-name Electronics and test equipment can be purchased online because of free trade laws that allowed a private individual to circumnavigate the import process and sell person to person over web pages. Sometimes it's very difficult to tell the difference but more often than not even if it looks fake there will be other issues like running hot or conceivably keys that fall off a keyboard. In some cases they have the original factory make them so they look just like the genuine part and maybe even work as well. Nearly all of the new plastic sold online is fake. Many even come in similar boxes in appearance but comparing side by side they are obviously knock-offs. I have knock-off parts on my favorite Frankie like the lid cover and the Palm rest for example. The quality is okay but I don't mind. When it comes to a CPU chip or other electronics I will not buy them from China. Rather I will buy a name brand laptop with the CPU chip I want, remove it install a lesser chip and send it back to auction. I might pay more doing it this way but I get a higher-quality part in my opinion and that is always been my goal here is to obtain the highest quality for the community. I've never been interested in competing with eBay and it's kind of annoying when somebody expects me to. But it's been a wild ride and I enjoyed it immensely