Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad thermal paste quality, re-paste needed?

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
MortySE

Thinkpad thermal paste quality, re-paste needed?

#1 Post by MortySE » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 am

Dear all,

Short and straightforward question: How is Lenovo's thermal paste application usually on modern Thinkpads; is there a significant temperature difference ( >5C )between Lenovo's paste and standard non-conductive enthusiast paste or not really?

I'm thinking about re-pasting a T480 that's in the mail. But I don't want to risk cracking the CPU for no good reason, i.e. only if the Lenovo paste is usually somewhat badly applied.

I did try to search for previous answers, but didn't quite find one that applies. This thread for example is about the T430, so that's some years back. :)

Thank you! :bow:

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Thinkpad thermal paste quality, re-paste needed?

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:36 am

Run a benchmark to fully load the CPU and GPU(for me, thats heavyload and unigine heaven). If the temps get above 90C, it needs a repaste. Cracking the CPU is extremely rare and really a repaste job is nearly impossible to screw up if you be careful and follow instructions. Likely, you probably don't need a repaste job given its a brand new system, but maybe a few years down the road you might.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Dongers

Re: Thinkpad thermal paste quality, re-paste needed?

#3 Post by Dongers » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:45 am

Got Thermal Grizzy Kryonaut running in my TPs and they bearly (no pun intended) break into a sweat.... ;)

Running Burn In Test, with 100% load on CPU, RAM, 2D & 3D graphics, with TLP in AC mode (so everything is running at full speed), for 15 mins - my X230 (i5-3320) just manages to hit 80 degrees (with vents blocked - stoopid yes, I know, but was testing ThinkFan 'disengaged' mode :D )

T430 with i7-3740 (quad) @2.7Ghz hits about 80 degrees under same load with Kryonaut (Standard heatsink/fan combo, ie NOT the 430 Discrete Graphics heatsink with the extra heat pipe), from memory...?

Don't think i have ever seen any of my TPs hit 90 while using it...???

Highly recommended, IF you are going to re-apply...?

Cheers
Dongers