Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

how do I replace the T460 backlight fuse?

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
Benni12345

how do I replace the T460 backlight fuse?

#1 Post by Benni12345 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 am

Hi I have a T460.
Suddenly, the display went dark when I disconnected the power of some hardware that was connected to usb with the laptop. External monitor works. All status lights work.
When I light up the display with a flashlight, then it shows that just the backlight of the display seems to be out.

So I suspect that it is just a fuse on the board.

Does anybody know where this fuse is (location, marks etc) and with what I should replace it?
(I know that fuses are always near the connector and should be marked with f or something. But, I guess I wont trust myself in this. I do not feel able to discern the different components myself.

Close to what appears to be the display connector, there is something looking like a fuse that is called P7... But I do not know if it is this. Does somebody know where this fuse is exactly?

Do I simply have to soldier one on top or do I have to replace the fuse? With what fuse do I have to replace? Which ampere, which other data? Where can I buy it? I live in germany..

Thank you for answers.

Benni12345

Re: how do I replace the T460 backlight fuse?

#2 Post by Benni12345 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:17 pm

Here are pictures of the board close to the display.
I guess the relevant fuse is the thing marked as PF1 with a 7 on it that I have encircled.

But I really do not know. Is this the fuse? and with what would I have to replace it?
Can I order such things in an electronics store?

https://scontent.fmuc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5DBA6686

https://scontent.fmuc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5DB49C19

https://scontent.fmuc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5D79B3AA

Leopadua2000

#3 Post by Leopadua2000 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:09 pm

Hola, alguien me podría decir cual es el fusible de retroiluminación en el modelo T440?. La pantalla está oscura, solo se puede ver al acercar una luz a la pantalla.

Espero que puedan ayudarme con ésto.

Desde ya muchas gracias.

Pokrzept
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by Pokrzept » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:57 am

As far as I remember the backlight fuse in T450 had a symbol of F7 and it was located nearby eDP connector on the reverse side of motherboard. Due to that motherboard has to be removed to replace it. I'd expect that fuse in T460 is located in exact same spot since both platforms are pretty similar. Last time I had to fix my unit I used 32V/3A fast acting fuse.

Keep in mind that usually USB power line is separated from other power lines so this should not kill backlight fuse (unless there's some design flaw in motherboards layout). On the other hand there's well known problem with an eDP cable which breaks and causes short of the power line circuit. This happens whenever cable is routed incorrectly. One of my units has been affected by this problem due to incorrect cable routing made by authorized technician during motherboard replacement. So keep in mind that fuse re-soldering may not solve the problem completely.
P70 / W530 / W700 and 30 more :roll: