Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T590 upgrade to (any good) 4K screen?

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
Puppy
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

T590 upgrade to (any good) 4K screen?

#1 Post by Puppy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:32 am

I have an opportunity to get a basic T590 configuration (i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, garbage FHD) for a very good (corporate) price, as a second laptop. While I don't like current ThinkPad models due to the 6-row keyboard layout (split Home/End and PgUp/PgDn keys over the opposite sides of the keyboard :roll:), the numeric block actualy "fixes" the stupid layout for me by proper clustered Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys location.

The only problem is typical Lenovo total garbage screen - 58% sRGB only (aside from the very low screen resolution for 15.6" size). I don't insist on a HDR screen, just want a decent 4K screen (at least 98% sRGB coverage and at least 1200:1 real contrast ratio, no low PWM frequency used). I don't care of maximum brightness at all, barely use brightness over 50% anyway. It can be both matte or glossy panel.

Has anyone tried such upgrade? Lenovo T590 4K HDR panel option has two vendors (and this is scary again) - 01YN137 (AUO) and 01YN138 (BOE). None of them are available to buy as a part. T580 also has 4K non-HDR panel option that could be compatible, unfortunately the screen was a garbage again. Are there any other compatible decent panels that works with T590?
ThinkPad (1992 - 2012): R51, X31, X220, Tablet 8
Huawei MateBook 13