Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Trackpoint sensitivity

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
Calisto

Trackpoint sensitivity

#1 Post by Calisto » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:32 am

This post relates to several Thinkpad models but I'll post it here as most of the models in question are post-classic t4xx's. I've used several Thinkpads from my work and have reverted to using the trackpoint, at least when I can manage to set the sensitivity sufficiently high. I've found it very confusing that the max sensitivity of the trackpoint varies across different models. Ranking from most to least sensitive: P50, T470 and a T510 (draw), another T470. All have Windows 10 installed and I haven't found messing around with regedit have made any change to any of them. Furthermore, for some reason the P50 and T510 scroll smootly in Chrome, while the T470 just skips several lines at a time. Now, looking at potentially acquiring a new laptop from my work, either a T490 or P1 extreme, I wonder what the trackpoint performance may be like. Unfortunately, as my colleagues haven't transitioned yet, I can't try before committing. Online rviews rarely seem to mention the trackpoint performance. Could anyone comment on why the trackpoint performance, i.e. max sensitivity and scrolling smoothness, varies so much between models and even between two 470's, and what to expect from more recent Thinkpads? Much appreciated.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Trackpoint sensitivity

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:55 am

There are also sensitivity differences between the keyboard manufacturers.
NMB used to be top of the line for many years, followed by Alps, and finally Chicony.
NMB seems to have faded away.
Newer models come with LiteOn (LTN, quite to very good), Chicony (CHI, almost as good as LiteOn), Sunrex (SRX, generally considered crap).
Backlit keyboards seem to wear out (and get shiny) faster than non-backlit ones.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

Calisto

#3 Post by Calisto » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:50 am

I wonder if there has also been different manufactures of the thinkpad compact usb/Bluetooth keyboard. I'd be tempted to build a desktop computer if I could have a trackpoint with high sensitivity and the familiar Thinkpad keyboard layout (I'm using autohotkey for several customized shortcuts). I really wish there was a software that could simply boost the sensitivity across all curser input.

skx
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by skx » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:52 am

If you use linux it is easy to configure the sensitivity to your own preference by setting a 20-thinkpad.conf xorg config and xinput settings
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned