Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[solved] T480S recovery failure

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
kboogie222

[solved] T480S recovery failure

#1 Post by kboogie222 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:29 pm

Purchased a used T480S that has a Supervisor password and a formatted hard drive. With the serial number I was able to register the device, download and create the recovery media, but when I attempt to install I get a "Recovery Failure" error. There is no other error or log report that I can identify. Assuming the issue is related to the supervisor password, which blocks installation of an OS. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would it be possible to load the partition image from another device? Is there any potential way around this short of removing the supervisor password? This is a tricky one, appreciate any help.

[solved]
Starting the installation on another device solved it.

[updated]
A day later the system froze and wouldn't boot, stuck on Lenovo logo, no access to any bios or recovery menus. Turns out the SSD had died. No longer mountable or responsive in any way I can discern. Installed brand new SSD, used USB recovery stick and installed OS. Never had an issue.

I think the original "Recovery Failure" was not a security event, but a function of this SSD dying or being corrupt in some way. Unfortunately the "Recovery Failure" was not very specific and left a lot of guess work.
Last edited by kboogie222 on Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
T431S (daily driver) T440S (for the kids) T480S (restoration project)

kboogie222

Re: T480S recovery failure

#2 Post by kboogie222 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:20 am

[Update] I came across this thread, which describes installing the OS on another device and then transferring the drive to back to other device upon first reboot. Going to give that a try now.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Enterprise ... -p/3948158

Wondering if an image of another T480S might also work?

Any other thoughts out there?
T431S (daily driver) T440S (for the kids) T480S (restoration project)