Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T530 WiFi adapter stops auto-connecting - SOLVED

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

T530 WiFi adapter stops auto-connecting - SOLVED

#1 Post by JPOESQ » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:44 pm

I have a T530 running Windows 10. Every couple of days I boot the computer and the WiFi is disconnected. I run the network troubleshooter, it resets the adapter, and WiFi auto-connects again. A few days later rinse and repeat.

Everything was fine until a Windows update. I can’t recall which one.

All of the drivers are correct, the adapter is not set to go into standby and I have checked for any Windows errors. There’s no reason that it should work for a few days and then need to be reset (or connect manually).

I’m open to suggestions. Thanks.
Last edited by JPOESQ on Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John P. O'Banion, JD, PE, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.intellectual.com

600, X220, X230, T530, X1 Carbon 5th Signature Edition

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T530 WiFi adapter stops auto-connecting

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:17 am

One thing that helped me in a similar situation:
remove the antennas and the wifi card.
Clean the gold contacts on both sides with an eraser, until they shine.
Remove the eraser leftovers with a brush and reinsert the card 2 or 3 times (to clean its contacts).
Reattach the antennas and turn them a little back and forth a few times (to clean their contacts).
Should be a lot better now.

And as usual, blame Micro$haft and its W10 abomination.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

"Computers don't lie, but liars can compute." (Terry Hayes)

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#3 Post by JPOESQ » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:55 am

Good suggestion. I was focusing on a software issue.

sktn77a
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by sktn77a » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:27 pm

Well, sounds pretty much like a software issue. Do you have Lenovo Vantage installed on your computer? If so, use the System Update app to make sure you have the latest Lenovo driver and not an older Microsoft driver.
Keith
(Formerly 600E, T40, T41, 2xT42, 2xT61p, T420
Currently 4xT430, 2xT460, H520S, Ideapad K1)

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#5 Post by JPOESQ » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:22 pm

Happy New Year gang! This problem persists after cleaning the contacts, as suggested, double-checking updates, running windows file checker, etc., and tearing out my hair.

The adapter stops auto-connecting randomly. When this happens, I will boot the computer the adapter will be connected to the wireless network but there will be no Internet connection (no Internet, secured). I can disconnect and then connect manually, and get on the Internet most of the time. Sometimes not. In those cases I will then run the troubleshooter and it will reset the adapter and connect. Everything might run fine for a few days and then poof - it doesn't work again.
Last edited by JPOESQ on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:29 am

Try another wifi card, such as this Lenovo-approved Intel N 6300 with FRU 60Y3233.
Must have a FRU, otherwise the wifi-whitelist (a.k.a. Lenovo's idiotic stupidity) kicks in.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

"Computers don't lie, but liars can compute." (Terry Hayes)

wrybread
Freshman Member

#7 Post by wrybread » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:15 pm

^^^^^^ that's what fixed it for me. If you get it from eBay, make sure to specifically put "thinkpad" or "t530" or whatever in the auction title. I bought one that didn't work (the Thinkpad bios doesn't let it boot), then got the same card that came from a Thinkpad and it worked great.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 0&_sacat=0

More info in this thread, including antenna connection deets:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=129769

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#8 Post by JPOESQ » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:37 am

Replacement card on its way. I will report back as soon as it’s installed.

wrybread
Freshman Member

#9 Post by wrybread » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:25 am

Ugh, I hope I didn't get you some bad info, my disconnection issue just returned.

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#10 Post by JPOESQ » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:07 pm

I'm willing to try anything. This is a very strange issue. When the problem arises, which is most of the time now, what I see is:

1. A "globe" symbol in the systray;
2. The adapter not talking to the Internet;
3. The adapter showing connected to the network where I can select disconnect; and
4. Selecting disconnect and then connect solving the problem most of the time but not always.

The problem can be solved every single time by running the troubleshooter which then tells me that it found a problem and fixed it. I noted that the troubleshooter always resets the adapter.

Windows Network Diagnostics Publisher details

Issues found
Problem with wireless adapter or access point
Problem with wireless adapter or access point Fixed
Reset the wireless adapter Completed
Investigate router or access point issues Not run

Issues found Detection details
Problem with wireless adapter or access point Fixed

Reset the wireless adapter Completed

Investigate router or access point issues Not run

jursky

#11 Post by jursky » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:03 am

Did you try different driver for your card? I had similar problem many years ago with my first Acer laptop (with Windows Vista) which did not have any problem to connect to any network, but after like 2-10 minutes it would just stop working. It would still say that it was connected to a network (with a very good signal) but there would be no Internet connectivity (or network connectivity to other computers in same workgroup at all). All I had to do back then was to open Control panel > Networking center > Change adapters > Disable Wi-Fi adapter and then enable it again and the problem would be solved. However it was very annoying to do it every 2-10 minutes, so I tried to google for an older (!) driver and it solved my problem. Only annoying thing after that was that Windows decided to install newer driver in the background (during some maintenance window) on its own (downloading newer driver from Microsoft Update site), breaking the wifi again with its newer driver. I don't blame Microsoft for that, their intention was clearly to keep user's computer up-to-date (free of problems), only in my case it did not work very well and it instead brought me my problem back again. However it was possible (and still is, also with Windows 10) to disable Windows automatic drivers installation in: Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings > No (your device might not work as expected). However after that only you'll be responsible for installing all drivers, but in my opinion that's better than having the system deciding what's the best for you. Also I myself I am not installing drivers every day, so I don't mind, at least I know what I have installed.
If older driver(s) will not solve your problem, then I would try to open the laptop, taking the card out and plugging it back again, maybe it would make better contact with the port and start working properly. As a last option I would just buy new card, they are pretty cheap. I bought 2 already from Chinese sellers on Aliex. and they worked just great so far.
[W530 i7-3840QM (with HCG FHD AUO B156HW01 V.4 (Matte) display) and X230 i7-3520M (with Nitrocaster mod in combination with FHD LGD IPS LP125WF2-SPB1 (Matte) display)] + PE4C e-GPU (atm GTX960, soon to be replaced with RTX2070).

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#12 Post by JPOESQ » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:22 am

Yes, I've tried old drivers, new drivers, no drivers (let Win10 detect), uninstall, reinstall, reset adapter, rebuild TCP/IP stack, system file checker... everything short of reinstalling Win10 completely. Lenovo's last driver package won't even run to completion (ProSet never executes) so I have go through the manual driver install process.

There was no problem for years and then this problem showed up. I'm convinced that it's related to a Win10 update and/or a bios update since those are the only things that changed close in time to when the problem first arose. Alas, however, I'm going to try a new card and see if there is any change. To bad that the T530 whitelist can't be changed and thank goodness that my 600 and X220 can be hax0red (does that slang make me sound like a nerdy EE?).

wrybread
Freshman Member

#13 Post by wrybread » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:50 am

Does it fix if you disable and re-enable the wifi using the switch on the side of the laptop?

And is it fully disconnecting (no IP addy) or do you still have an IP addy but can't access anything?

Also, what router are you using? And do you know if this happens with all routers, or just this one?

And when I had a similar issue on my T530 I made a little Python script that simply disabled and then re-enabled my wireless card. It's the equivalent of opening Device Manager and disabling the device, waiting a couple of seconds, then re-enabling it. I didn't try it on Win10 tho, only Win7. I posted it here if you want to try it, and made an EXE version if you don't want to deal with installing Python:

sinkingsensation.com/dropbox/wifi_refresher.zip

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#14 Post by JPOESQ » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:27 am

Further experimentation leads me to believe that this is a Windows 10 issue. If I toggle "airplane mode" using the icon in the notification area then the connection is repaired. Since this is only an issue when the computer is booted up, I'm going to see what happens if I delay startup of the WLAN AutoConfig service. I'm also going to try disabling the radio management service.

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#15 Post by JPOESQ » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:09 am

None of the approaches that I tried have solved this problem. Next is to replace the card with a 7260 - AC.

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

Re: T530 WiFi adapter stops auto-connecting - SOLVED

#16 Post by JPOESQ » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:37 pm

The 7260 arrived but I decided to give it one more try before installing the card. It turns out that I found an entry in the device manager for a Network Interface Device and it showed one of my 2.4 GHz access points used for some legacy devices. I don’t know where that entry came from but I deleted. It didn’t reappear after a reboot so who knows why it was there. Connecting automatically appears stable now.