Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T480s Motherboard fried for the second time within 3 months of purchase.

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
ativsc

T480s Motherboard fried for the second time within 3 months of purchase.

#1 Post by ativsc » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:38 am

I received my T480s around 3 months and, just after a month, the device suddenly stopped working (did not boot even to the bios). The device was under warranty and the motherboard was replaced by the service center after a long delay of 10 days. Again after 2 months, the device began to reboot spontaneously and after a while, it stopped working at all (couldn't boot even to the bios). I have placed the complaint to the Lenovo Customer Service department, and I have been informed that the motherboard will be replaced again. But I am afraid that this will break again.

There was no physical damage ( dropped/spillage/power surge etc) with the device. I use Ubuntu 18.04 alongside the pre-installed Windows 10. I am unable to understand what can cause this type of issue. Was the replaced motherboard faulty or used? Can some other malfunctioning component damage the motherboard? ( Almost all the hardware is embedded on the motherboard. Except for the motherboard, there are just keyboard, speaker, screen and fan).

What should I do about this situation? I requested a replacement for the whole device, but it was declined. I have e-mailed the executive director and I am waiting for the reply.

Any guidance/suggestion is appreciated.

Edit: Charger is working fine (I plugged it into my usb c compatible phone)

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: T480s Motherboard fried for the second time within 3 months of purchase.

#2 Post by BillMorrow » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:11 pm

first, welcome to the forum..
next, 10 days..?! i would not accept that turn around time..
and, if it were me, i would have paid for an onsite 3 or 5 year warranty upgrade.. i did on the X1 extreme i recently purchased from amazon..
finally, motherboards failing, two in a row, sure is strange.. i can't explain that.. IBM and now lenovo are or were very well made..
IBM and lenovo now are permitted to use refurbished parts AFAIK and this is stated on the warranty documents.. or was, last time i looked..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

ativsc

#3 Post by ativsc » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks for replying. I do have a 3 year onsite warranty. I was told that the delay was due to unavailability of the motherboard. Yeah. I read that they can use refurbished parts. But it's there anything I can do about it?

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#4 Post by BillMorrow » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:36 pm

do about it..?!
i don't know.. depends on where you got that thinkpad.. if from lenovo direct then MAYBE.. if they can not honor the warranty in a timely manner then some gently complaining might get a new machine replacement..
i don't know the laws in india pertaining to manufacturers warranties..
if from a used source, well i suspect you will need to work with them..
i know i had a warranty issue for one of my thinkpad customers waaaay back in the 760 days where some complaining got me, for the customer, a replacement keyboard rushed to the US from germany.. i think i still have the box and old keyboard down in my archives.. :)
but that was in the IBM days..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~