Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Bridge Battery Charging behaviour

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
boberto19

Bridge Battery Charging behaviour

#1 Post by boberto19 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:42 am

Hi all,

I have a T450s that employs two batteries- an inside "Bridge battery," and a removable battery unit.

If I plug the unit in to charge from a drained state, it will first charge Battery 1 (the non removable Bridge Battery) to 80%, then charge the removable battery (designated "Battery 2" by the battery status indicator icon menu in the lower right corner) all the way to 100%.

When I use the laptop on battery power, it first drains the removable battery (bat. 2), before switching to the nonremovable one (bat. 1). Its intended function is so that I can swap removable batteries withoiut powering down.

Now I have noticed, if I plug my unit back in prior to letting the removable battery drain to 0%, it will first prioritize charging battery 1 (non removable) to 100%, THEN charging the removable battery 2. I do not want this- I would prefer that the non-removable battery never be charged passed 80% under any circumstance for the sake of preserving its longevity. (Lipo batteries tend to have the longest shelf life when maintaining a charge level between 60-80%).

While I have all the proper lenovo power management drivers installed, there appears to be no UI to access it and adjust how it operates, unlike the previous Ideapad I owned years ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!.

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: Bridge Battery Charging behaviour

#2 Post by BillMorrow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:49 am

hello and welcome to the forum..
FWIW i recently got an X1 extreme gen 1 4k 32gig lenovo refurb and IT has a lenovo battery application that will charge the internal battery to 80%.. i think i can change that level to whatever i wish but have not tried it.. yet..
so i rather imagine you should be able to make the changes you wish and if not now then probably later when lenovo updates the battery app..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

boberto19

Re: Bridge Battery Charging behaviour

#3 Post by boberto19 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:41 pm

Thanks for the insight- on my old IdeaPad the power management software had an easily accessible UI (by right clicking the battery icon it could be selected), but for the T450as there appears to be no UI, and it runs entirely in background processes unfortunately with no way to manipulate settings :roll: (I've tried searching keywords in windows such as management, lenovo etc. with no success)

EDIT: Alright fellas, I found the answer on this thread (viewtopic.php?f=62&t=129438) -download the lenovo app from the windows app store; this gives the user a great deal of control over their system hardware settings. I was able to independently set battery charge protocols for both batteries through this app. I