Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

t440p heat issues, cpu / heatsink mods, also last windows 7 supported models

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
lenovouser023

t440p heat issues, cpu / heatsink mods, also last windows 7 supported models

#1 Post by lenovouser023 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:16 pm

hi, i have hopes of obtaining a lenovo t440p in the future so i can install windows 7 on it ( "die hard" fan of windows 7 ), not just that, but also because it seems to be one of the last if not last supported models with an optical drive and upgrading a cpu, particularly to a quad core cpu. i actually had the t440p previously, but sold it because i wanted to try something else at the time and for other reasons. now i was looking at the lenovo e470, and although it supports windows 7, i believe the cpu is of the soldered type where you can't upgrade it and it's limited to actually slower u type processers, we'll technically the i7 7500u would be slightly faster than for example compared to a i7 4700mq in single thread performance, however, dual core severely affects usability in this day and age, and i do want to game on the system and i've noticed that dual core + high single thread performance is just not enough and so the i7 7500u will be bottlenecking the system.

now the problem i had with experiencing the t440p is that for one, it just ran too loud and hot, even when applying very high quality thermal paste, prolimatech pk3, it still would run in upper 90s on medium load or w.e. idle temps were fine, probably in 50s, im talking in celsius. so i was wondering if anyone knows any way that i can significantly reduce the laptop's temperatures, other than using high quality thermal paste / cleaning dust, etc. the only experience i've had with mods on laptops was using a copper shim on the dell latitude d630 i think it was, since those models came with faulty heatsink cooling design, this reduced the temperatures by like 15 degrees on top end and a few degrees lower on idle. i came across some guy who watercooled their laptop somehow, or created some kind of watercooled unit.

i was wondering if anyone can give me a list of items / instruction of what i would need to do specifically if i were to do it on the t440p. i feel like this can be a very good goal if it comes out right. cpu upgradibiltiy is also good, because amazon or ebay have lots of options, and you can even install up to a i7 4800mq and there's a amazon selling who is sellling one in new condition as i only want to upgrade to a new cpu in hoping a cooler operating and more functional chip, tho, i'd only install such a chip as the 4800mq if it can run relatively cool and fans arent running too loud overall.

also im not sure if we are allowed to post links, but i have a list of windows 7 supported laptops by lenovo listed below if anyone is interested -

https://web.archive.org/web/20191120071 ... s/ht503592

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: t440p heat issues, cpu / heatsink mods, also last windows 7 supported models

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:54 am

Get a T440p with iGPU (Intel), NOT with dGPU (nVidia).
For top heat-clearance, put on the dGPU heatsink (00HM903/Toshiba, 04X3916/AVC or 04X3918/Delta).
If your new machine has one of these heatsinks: 04X1853 or 04X1854, they are the older, noisy ones. replace fan itself or dump.
If you upgrade the CPU, go for the 37Wh i7-4702MQ or i7-4712MQ. All other quad-CPUs are of the hotter 47Wh type.
Use top-quality paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (dollop of about 1-2 rice corns size, spread evenly all over the CPU, using a credit card).
Get a 90W power supply.
After that, your T440p should idle around 30C and run average loads around 55C. It will hardly ever reach 70C or more.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

"Computers don't lie, but liars can compute." (Terry Hayes)

lenovouser023

Re: t440p heat issues, cpu / heatsink mods, also last windows 7 supported models

#3 Post by lenovouser023 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:35 am

thanks for the info, i did not know of the different heatsinks. i definitely will be using a 90 watt power supply. thermal grizzly kryonaut is nice, if i can purchase it, i'll do so, otherwise, something like prolimatech pk1 / or other high quality paste. i will definitely only go the 37 watt quad core processors, as i wouldn't want the extra heat / wattage from the 47 watt ones, as i know it will be too much for the system. i will opt for a new cpu if possible, last time i checked, amazon had some new ones that were 37 watt only.

tho back to the gpu / heatsink part, when you say to not get dedicated gpu nvidia, which one in specific? the reason being is because from what i know of the t440p, at least with mine and a few others i looked it / checking from the online site specifications is that it came with both a gt 730m and also integrated graphics of whatever intel chip you put in it. it wasn't possible to get just a system without the gt 730m, unless you can, do you know if this was possible / or there are / were systems like this? that was one reason i avoided the t440p at first, because i was hoping i could find a system that didn't use the same technology where you were forced to have both a dedicated gpu and integrated gpu, and not able to disable one or the other, either physically ( removing the dedicated gpu from the system ), and / or disabling integrated gpu of intel or dedicated gpu from within the BIOS.

it was weird because even when i used the gt 730m ( switchable through application and / or tested within a game itself ), it would run significantly slower than with the intel hd 4000, which i thought was odd, because isn't the gt 730m supposed to better?

now i don't know which heatsink i had on that t440p when i had it, but when you said it should hardly reach around 70c, if i were to have all those things, that definitely made me wonder, because mine ran a lot hotter, max temps were around 90c, but i guess part of that could be attributed to me using a i7 4700mq which used 47 watts, but maybe i also had the older heatsink you mentioned.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:33 am

Go here: http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad_T440p and sort that list on Graphics.
The Intel GPU is part of the CPU-chip.
The motherboard has either discrete nVidia GT730M or it has no discrete graphics (which is what you want).
So get any T440p without nVidia, and you're good to go.
Try and get one with FHD ex factory, they are great screens.
The advise for using a dGPU heatsink with iGPU models is just for when you want nothing but the best (the standard version works OK as-is).

lenovouser023

#5 Post by lenovouser023 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:42 pm

wow, just wow, thank you again for the info. this certainly will help if i can get the model without gt 730m gpu and only have intel hd 4600 running. also i remembered that i used a 135 watt power supply, and so i was intending on using that, 90 watt may or may not be sufficient, however, a quick google search also revealed that they also carried 170 watt versions for the t440p. im not sure if that would be "overkill" or whether the system could run more reliably with the 170 watt version, but i do have a tendency to aim for the best or better stuff when possible, so i may lean towards the 170 watt.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:51 am

My T440p with iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 37W i7-4702QM CPU/iGPU fan, 250GB SSD main and 500GB SSD in adapter/CD-drive runs ca. 15 hours a day off an original Lenovo 90W charger with slim tip.
Charger does not even get lukewarm at the end of the day.
Laptop rarely goes over 50 C and the fan is really quiet.
But if you think you want more, 135W is well beyond your needs. 170W would be excessive.
Both of course would have extra unnecessary weight.