Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad T480 LCD panel upgrade from HD to FHD?

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
kingtriumph

ThinkPad T480 LCD panel upgrade from HD to FHD?

#1 Post by kingtriumph » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi all -

I'm the proud owner of a new T480 and I love it. However, I made a slight error when I purchased the laptop and I ended up getting the HD screen (1366x768) by mistake. Due to other circumstances (for instance, my puppy almost immediately using the power brick as a chew toy), returning it and getting the model with the FHD screen isn't a possibility. So, I'd like to change out the LCD panel if possible.

There seems to be varying opinions about whether or not upgrading the LCD panel on the T480 is doable. The "official" advice I've seen seems to say you could only replace the screen with the same panel, but I'm not convinced this is actually true. For instance, this great thread on this very forum seems to indicate otherwise:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=127439&p=840009#p840009

I've worked in computer repair and administration for years and I've done many, many LCD panel replacements on other laptops (Macs mostly), so I'm not concerned about the actual replacement process - just whether or not the FHD LCD panel will be compatible with the logic board in my model of T480. The Lenovo part compatibility matrix seems to indicate that the FHD (and QHD) screens will work - but I want to be sure before I invest my time and money into the upgrade.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: ThinkPad T480 LCD panel upgrade from HD to FHD?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:59 am

It can be done, and is all fully described with pix in the HMM Manual: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobi ... hmm_en.pdf

Until the xx30 models, parts lists were included in the HMM.
From xx30 onward, parts were listed in a separate so-called FRUBOM list in PDF format.
Apparently since the xx80 models Lenono is no longer publishing these FRUBOM PDFs! :evil:
You have to go to their website and go through a lot of trouble to find a part. Bummer! :evil:

BUT... some folks put their heads together and came up with a new website, where you can find all those parts nicely put together in one place:
https://libthinkpad.github.io/fru/ a.k.a.

(PS: I have no connections to them, just doing some free advertising for them :D )
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

kingtriumph

Re: ThinkPad T480 LCD panel upgrade from HD to FHD?

#3 Post by kingtriumph » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:18 am

@RealBlackStuff Thank you very much for the information and the links! I really appreciate it!