Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Just got my T480 and I love everything about it except for the touchpad and trackpoint are awful and lacking options.

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
ohnoplshelpme

Just got my T480 and I love everything about it except for the touchpad and trackpoint are awful and lacking options.

#1 Post by ohnoplshelpme » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:30 pm

• If one of my fingers is touching the trackpoint, sometimes when I double click using the left side touchpad button, unless i do it super slowly, it wont register.

If one of my fingers is touching the trackpoint, probably half of the time when I single click with the bottom left 'button' it will register as a double click. Sometimes a single click will register as a triple click; sometimes a double click will register as a triple click.

If one of my fingers is touching the trackpoint, for the 'buttons' under the touchpad, there is a long delay before the action registers on the screen. A lot of the time it wont register at all.
    Sometimes when I push in the touchpad on the bottom (*not* the bottom right) it will still register as a right click. Sometimes pushing in on the left side will register as a right button press. This gets even more screwed up if im touching the trackpoint.

I use firefox gestures and to activate you use the right mouse button. If one of my fingers is touching the trackpoint, when I use the bottom right button to do this, it will often act as if Ive done a right click when i let go of the button.

If im moving the trackpoint and press the left side of the touchpad to select multiple things, it wont work (it will very briefly open the selection rectangle and close it). I have to first click down the left side of the touchpad, with absolutely NO movement, and then move with the trackpoint.

If I use the trackpoint to move while im highliting words and have initially clicked with the bottom left button, it will highlight entire words.
    I cant tap the trackpoint to select.

When I use the middle button above the touchpad and the trackpoint to scroll, it has some kind of annoying acceleration. This is a huge pain in the butt as I disable smooth scrolling so it just looks really wonky.
My 10 year old Dell Latitude E6400 was considerably better than this. It seems like almost all of the problems involve the two 'buttons' of the touchpad when im even *slightly* touching the trackpoint. This sucks as one of my fingers is almost always on the trackpoint. As soon as I touch the trackpoint and try to use the touchpad it just [censored] everything up. I rarely use the buttons directly under the trackpoint and above the touchpad. I'm seriously considering returning it and that sounds crazy. Is this normal? It's almost like the trackpoint is not supposed to be used with *anything* other than the two buttons above the touchpad. I have done all the windows updates and lenovo vantage updates.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Just got my T480 and I love everything about it except for the touchpad and trackpoint are awful and lacking options

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:07 am

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your bad experiences. It sounds like the hardware is defective somehow. Perhaps the keyboard (which also includes the trackpoint and buttons) should be replaced.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Just got my T480 and I love everything about it except for the touchpad and trackpoint are awful and lacking options

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:34 am

You are not alone, apparently it is a quite common problem:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comme ... month_old/
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T ... 67#M127215

If still under warranty, send it in or have someone come in for a keyboard and/or touchpad replacement.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

ohnoplshelpme

#4 Post by ohnoplshelpme » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:23 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:34 am
You are not alone, apparently it is a quite common problem:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comme ... month_old/
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T ... 67#M127215

If still under warranty, send it in or have someone come in for a keyboard and/or touchpad replacement.
Man, how disappointing. I'd heard so much about the legendary thinkpad quality and so far out of almost all the laptops I've had this has been the worse experience lol. Thanks for the information.

wrybread
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by wrybread » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:24 pm

It's a longshot, but if the T480 touchpad uses a sticker, you might try removing the sticker. I didn't realize the texture on my T530's touchpad was from a stticker, I peeled it off and now it's smooth like a Macbook's touchpad and works much better than before.

That said, yours has a much different touchpad than mine, and is the reason I won't buy anything newer than the T530, I can't stand their updated touchpads, I have no idea what they were thinking. But the sticker might be worth a shot.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by dr_st » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:39 am

wrybread wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:24 pm
It's a longshot, but if the T480 touchpad uses a sticker...
It doesn't.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad