Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Danger of using the touchpad on a T530 without the textured sticker overlay?

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
wrybread
Sophomore Member

Danger of using the touchpad on a T530 without the textured sticker overlay?

#1 Post by wrybread » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:47 pm

I really don't like the textured sticker Lenovo puts over the touchpads on the T530's, I much prefer it removed. But I'm wondering if I might be in danger of wearing out the touchpad without it?

I guess it's always possible to just get a new touchpad if so though.

On a sidenote, whoever is making decisions about touchpads at Lenovo really needs to be fired. This touchpad is incredibly nice without that silly sticker, as nice as a Macbook's in my opinion.

And of course the touchpads on later Thinkpads went completely off the rails in my opinion.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Danger of using the touchpad on a T530 without the textured sticker overlay?

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:43 am

1) yeah you can remove the sticker....I don't know if this is a possibility but you might wanna see if you can get a tempered glass screen protector the size of the touchpad to better match a MacBook / equiv glass touchpad.

2) not sure what your talking about. Outside of the *40 series which was a complete piece of crap, the 50 and on series actually have quite nice touchpads, far superior than anything on the 30 and before series.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

wrybread
Sophomore Member

Re: Danger of using the touchpad on a T530 without the textured sticker overlay?

#3 Post by wrybread » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:47 am

The more I use the touchpad without the sticker the more I like it. It feels exactly like a MacBook to me, tho of course smaller. But better in every way than with the sticker. Easier on the fingers, more sensitive, more feedback.

As far as other touchpads, I'm not sure the model exactly but every later thinkpad I've used had unusable touchpads. I've never used one without separate buttons that I'd call usable. It's why I still use the t530, it's the latest thinkpad I've found that is usable.

And whoever decided a) that a sticker was an improvement to this fantastic touchpad and b) that of all stickers this abrasive bumpy monstrosity is the best choice shouldn't be allowed to make any other product decisions. But judging by their later mistakes I'd say they did.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:41 am

Any self-adhesive piece of plastic foil can be used on that touchpad. https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odkw=se ... t&_sacat=0
You can get touchpad stickers in any color you like as well. https://www.skinstyler.com/pc/plain-colours-c-18.html
You could also buy a fruit-sticker, such as this: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/283675387097 and cut it to size.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

wrybread
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by wrybread » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:40 pm

But why is it necessary? Is there a danger in not using one?

The touchpad feels fantastic without any sticker. I'm wondering if the touchpad wears out quickly without a sticker.