- Install a Lenovo BIOS with an EC-version YOU like: https://support.lenovo.com/ie/en/downloads/ds029187 Scroll down.
- If required, run EC-mod to install xx20 7-row keyboard and/or remove battery-check
- Run IVYPREP first to downgrade BIOS (does not change/mod your EC)
- Run 1VYRAIN to install best possible BIOS version (removes wifi-whitelist, unlocks advanced BIOS settings, does not change/mod EC)
- You're done!
This is still a work in progress, but once it is completed and tested for every xx30 series, you should no longer need to use a hardware flasher for unlocking your xx30 series ThinkPads.
Note that I did NOT discover the exploit used for this, it was posted here and if you're comfortable following the step you can do it yourself manually now. All I've done is created a ready-to-go LiveUSB distro prepared with all necessary software and a script to automate the process so the average user can do this in about two minutes.
I'm still preparing patches for all BIOS revisions and all devices - I've got every xx30 series ThinkPad at my disposal to test on except a T430s (which benefits the least from this anyways aside from the WiFi whitelist unlock). If you're interested in trying this out AND you can confirm you have a hardware flasher, I can send you the image for testing. I will NOT be taking responsibility for bricked devices so I will NOT send this to anyone yet who does not have a hardware flasher, as that is the only way to recover from this if something goes wrong with this script before it is fully tested on the various BIOS revisions and the rest of the IvyBridge lineup.
The following chips are overclockable with this BIOS modification/jailbreak (using something like XTU or ThrottleStop):
- 3720QM: +2 to multipliers (200MHz all-core)
- 3740QM, 3820QM, 3840QM: +4 to multipliers (400MHz all-core)
- 3920XM, 3940XM: Multipliers totally unlocked