Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T450s: Problems fitting new LiteOn keyboard

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
jonny5

T450s: Problems fitting new LiteOn keyboard

#1 Post by jonny5 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:15 pm

Hi all.

I bought a used T450s last year which came with a rather odd keyboard: It looked like it was originally a European keyboard, but the keys had been covered with some sort of rubbery transfer type stuff to change the key inscriptions, turning it into a UK keyboard.

It worked OK, but looked dreadful, and the transfers prevented the backlight from illuminating the key inscriptions, so I recently bought a brand new backlit UK keyboard (made by LiteOn) to replace it.

The problem began at fitting: after tightening the screws, the sliding part of the LiteOn keyboard was very difficult to lock into place. I'm not convinced that it's slid fully home but I've applied as much force as I dare to it. And several of the keys - A, S, 3 and Enter in particular - feel like they're binding slightly. I've tried removing and refitting the keyboard several times, tried cleaning out the recesses in the laptop chassis that the locking tabs slide into, tried leaving the screws a little loose, all to no avail.

Is there some "trick" that I've missed to get the keyboard to fit nicely? Or is this just the way these LiteOn keyboards are? The other keyboard, for all it's sketchiness, felt far nicer to type on!

Thanks.
Jonny
His T450s, i7-5600u, 8GB, 1080p, 240GB SSD
Hers T430, i5-3320m, 4GB, 1600x900, 240GB SSD

gianry
Freshman Member

Re: T450s: Problems fitting new LiteOn keyboard

#2 Post by gianry » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:31 am

jonny5 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:15 pm
Hi all.

I bought a used T450s last year which came with a rather odd keyboard: It looked like it was originally a European keyboard, but the keys had been covered with some sort of rubbery transfer type stuff to change the key inscriptions, turning it into a UK keyboard.

It worked OK, but looked dreadful, and the transfers prevented the backlight from illuminating the key inscriptions, so I recently bought a brand new backlit UK keyboard (made by LiteOn) to replace it.

The problem began at fitting: after tightening the screws, the sliding part of the LiteOn keyboard was very difficult to lock into place. I'm not convinced that it's slid fully home but I've applied as much force as I dare to it. And several of the keys - A, S, 3 and Enter in particular - feel like they're binding slightly. I've tried removing and refitting the keyboard several times, tried cleaning out the recesses in the laptop chassis that the locking tabs slide into, tried leaving the screws a little loose, all to no avail.

Is there some "trick" that I've missed to get the keyboard to fit nicely? Or is this just the way these LiteOn keyboards are? The other keyboard, for all it's sketchiness, felt far nicer to type on!

Thanks.
Jonny
Hi Jonny ,
I bought some days ago the same laptop with deutch keyboard layout
Now I ve to change it as I’m Italian
Which is the previous fitted keyboard on your laptop ?