Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Bought a T450s with FHD Panel. Can anyone identify the problem with this screen? Stuck pixels?

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
jefe

Bought a T450s with FHD Panel. Can anyone identify the problem with this screen? Stuck pixels?

#1 Post by jefe » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:18 pm

Hi there,

As the title says I bought a T450s off ebay and everything about this machine is in awesome condition except for this small vertical row of pixels on the edge of my screen. Can anyone identify the problem from the photo below? I'm thinking it may be stuck pixels and I have tried to use one of those flashing light programs to fix it but it hasn't worked. I'm looking to upgrade to an IPS panel in the near future if I can't fix this.

https://i.imgur.com/WTQwivT.jpg

Thank you in advance!

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Bought a T450s with FHD Panel. Can anyone identify the problem with this screen? Stuck pixels?

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 pm

IMO, your kinda stuck. It looks like panel damage. Your best luck is to see if pressure/release makes it go away. Also you could look up a stuck pixel tool that flashes colors rapidly to make the pixel work again. There are videos on YouTube to do pixel "treatment".
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

jefe

Re: Bought a T450s with FHD Panel. Can anyone identify the problem with this screen? Stuck pixels?

#3 Post by jefe » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:32 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 pm
IMO, your kinda stuck. It looks like panel damage. Your best luck is to see if pressure/release makes it go away. Also you could look up a stuck pixel tool that flashes colors rapidly to make the pixel work again. There are videos on YouTube to do pixel "treatment".
I've tried the flashing colors tool for about an hour now and it hasn't changed unfortunately. I may try to keep it on for longer periods as others have done. I will try the pressure/release strategy soon though.

Luckily it's not too noticeable and I can live with it for now until I dive into more research on an IPS panel replacement. I've heard about the whitelist and people receiving "compatible" screens rather than genuine ones. All of that just makes the buying decision even harder.

Thanks for the reply!

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:27 pm

I bought genuine from Lenovo and it still didn't help whitelist :/.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:56 am

If pixel-fixing doesn't work and if it were my machine, I would use a black marker to cover those spots and not waste any money.
Worst case, since you have to take off the LCD bezel anyway, put some black tape over them.
It shouldn't be in the way of any program.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine