Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T450 Type 20BU-S1JDOQ Keyboard Ribbon Clip

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
TF2Engineer

T450 Type 20BU-S1JDOQ Keyboard Ribbon Clip

#1 Post by TF2Engineer » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:47 pm

Hi All

Maybe a known issue with Lenovo T4xx series but I have recently purchased a used T450 with missing keys on the Keyboard,
so I had bought a new replacement keyboard and set out to change the keyboard using the tutorials on Youtube and other sources, seemed very straight forward and I have experience with hardware so I thought no real biggy. Unfortunately after lifting the keyboard I soon realized that the two clips that hold the ribbon cables had basically just come apart on contact into two little pieces and thats what the rattling noise was I was so curious about. To cut a long story short. I need to find the two clips for the ribbon cables (trackpoint and keyboard) as I have followed a few posters suggestions with the piece of plastic wedged in to lock the cables in place. Does not work ! And I really do not want to use a heat gun or a soldering iron as once there is contact with the pins then if the keyboard does not work its good night system board, which I am trying to avoid at all costs

To give you an idea of the cable clamps in question

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/videos/vid500037
goto 2:27 and there you see those nice off white clamps which just happening to be laying in pieces on my desk.
Any thoughts or possible after market replacements would be greatly appreciated !

G

In the pipe 5x5

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T450 Type 20BU-S1JDOQ Keyboard Ribbon Clip

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:14 am

You could try finding any (defective) motherboard from the T440/T450/T460 series, that still has those connector clips.
Since they all use the same KB connectors, you could try and transplant their clips onto your mobo.
It's doable, but extremely finicky.
Alternative is a piece of cardboard and some Kapton tape.
When properly done, it should work (been there, done that).
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
Covid-19: Mask it or casket.

TF2Engineer

Re: T450 Type 20BU-S1JDOQ Keyboard Ribbon Clip

#3 Post by TF2Engineer » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:55 am

Hi,
Thanks for the laptop tape and cardboard tip, was also trying electrical tape and a piece of plastic inserted on the top, some keys worked but about 70% didn’t. Will check anyway and post back