Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Buying T480 parts, encompass out of stock, mod questions

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
H-Atkinson

Buying T480 parts, encompass out of stock, mod questions

#1 Post by H-Atkinson » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:25 pm

Does anyone know if Encompass (lenovo.encompass.com) restocks things when they are ordered?

Im concerned mostly about a T480 bezel (01YR491) that isnt available on eBay or anywhere else right now, and possible a few T25 parts (keyboard, etc) that are listed as out of stock.

Has anyone had experience ordering things while out of stock? Do they just cancel it eventually, or will they restock for you?

Also, if converting a plastic-lid WQHD machine to Low-power FHD Magnesium lid, all I need is a magnesium lid, MG lid bezel, FHD cable, and the screen, right? Do I need to change any brackets?

Thanks!
P1 Gen 5
P52
T25 Anniversary

Many more as well!

Yao2000
Freshman Member

Re: Buying T480 parts, encompass out of stock, mod questions

#2 Post by Yao2000 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:13 pm

the T25 mod of the T480 is a huge complicated project that i researched and quite frankly. its not worth the time effort and MONEY.

parts are impossible to find. i know people in China who cant get the parts directly from the factories there.

I really like your suggestion of the Dell XPS 15 9500 panel into the T480. That is AMAZING PROJECT.

that would be the ultimate mod for the T480!

H-Atkinson

#3 Post by H-Atkinson » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:18 pm

Sorry for the late response.

Im going to go ahead with the 16:10 mod as soon as I have parts. The people saying it wont fit are looking at the wrong dimensions. For whatever reason, dell calls the width of panels the height, so just by comparing W to W it seems to big (I made the mistake at first as well), but it should be doable with a few mm to spare left and right, and should be easy if youre willing to lose the webcam (which Im not, so Im at an impasse there, going to try and see how much hacking up I can do to the hinge mounts).

As for the T25 mod, Ive got all the parts now, just have to 3d print some brackets and Ill throw it together. I was able to get most stuff from encompass, and ended up spending ~300 on parts in total (would have been closer to 500 without a discount I got, so I lucked out), and given that I got my T480 for ~150 (had a smashed LCD and lid, but I was planning on upgrading those anyways so I didnt care), Id say it was worth it.
P1 Gen 5
P52
T25 Anniversary

Many more as well!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:23 am

Encompass are not the only ones that sell Lenovo parts.
Found in USA: https://www.cpumedics.com/lenovo-01yr49 ... m-w-ir-mg/
Found in Oz: https://store.emprgroup.com.au/ProductS ... rm=01YR491

And how about the 01YR490 instead?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)