Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

t430 yellow/grey WHITE and not enough Bright screen Hd+ ???

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
AnalyticalMind

t430 yellow/grey WHITE and not enough Bright screen Hd+ ???

#1 Post by AnalyticalMind » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:32 pm

Hello.

Is it normal that my t430 has yellow white? At notebookcheck.com i read review that it should has avg brightness of 270 cd/m2 while lets say Hp 2570p has only 170cd/m2
I have both laptops on my desk and when i am comparing its screens, then t430 one has yellow/grey WHITE and comparable brightness to HP....

I had also other t430i with other configuration and Hd ready screen and it was looking like the one from Hp2570p in terms of colour and brightness.
Why my 1600x900 has such tiny colours and its theoretical much higher brighness.... is not visible?
Photo in spoiler
https://i.imgur.com/rpaRKMx.jpg
Last edited by AnalyticalMind on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

UMPC2024

Re: t430 yellow/grey WHITE and not enough Bright screen Hd+ ???

#2 Post by UMPC2024 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:15 pm

Can you please resize the image? It's way too big. I'm on a 4K monitor and it's taking up the whole screen.

Do you have the f.lux app or the Windows 10 "Night Light" (blue light reduction mode) feature on? Also, did you color calibrate the screen?

AnalyticalMind

#3 Post by AnalyticalMind » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:45 pm

Photo is in full resolution but forum script shows miniature of it.
I didnt do any screen calibration.
Hey, i am not dump, i know that flux od w10 options for night watch should be turned off!!!

How to make this screen claibration?
I have this LEd LCD panel and its factory one.
https://www.blisscomputers.net/new-14-0 ... 64-661867/

UMPC2024

#4 Post by UMPC2024 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:11 pm

I haven't done it, but there's color calibration tools like (X-rite, ColorHug, etc.)

Here's a link for calibrating in Windows 10. Perhaps you can start here and match it to your HP2570p.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-cali ... windows-10

AnalyticalMind

#5 Post by AnalyticalMind » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:32 pm

UMPC2024 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:11 pm
I haven't done it, but there's color calibration tools like (X-rite, ColorHug, etc.)

Here's a link for calibrating in Windows 10. Perhaps you can start here and match it to your HP2570p.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-cali ... windows-10
I tried to calibrate screen
It helped. I lowered Red colour in RGB mix. contrast seems to be worse than in HP but honestly i prefer to have quite normal White even if it means more pale colours.
but now when i scroll text, there is green glow.......following text

UMPC2024

#6 Post by UMPC2024 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:52 pm

I'm sorry but that's the extent of what I know about screen color. The only other thing I can think of is to check the display cables.

You can find a T430 HMM (hardware maintenance manual) in the HMM link at the top. It seems from your other posts that you're looking at working on the fan, so you could probably do two jobs in one. There's also disassembly videos on YouTube, so you can watch on the HP while working on the T430.

jursky
Freshman Member

#7 Post by jursky » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:21 pm

Maybe it is just worn out?

My 95% NTSC AUO V.4 LCD in W530 (with datasheet's 270 cd/m2 luminescence) is not the same as it was 2 years ago. While it does not have reddish appeal (because from my experience it is the blue pixels which wears off first (because almost everything is based on white)) the brightness definitely suc*s; or in numbers, my calibrator says it's shining for 185-200 cd/m2, depending on part of the screen. I can already see a "white strip" atop the LCD, which is made by brighter part of the screen (2-3px from top) which did not wear that much.

Anyway, for proper screen calibration you need also a hardware calibrator (either a Spyder from DataColor or i-Color from Pantone, or I don't know who else makes them) because calibrating a screen by eye (by lowering or upping red/green/blue sliders) will always yield to horrible results. But as of now, I don't know if I would spend money on a calibrator, because if the screen performs that yellowishly now (and that's probably set to 100% brightness, without any ICM profile), calibrator would turn every color even, making the output to be white again, but you would loose a lot of brightness (because of brightness compensation in red pixels).

I would just buy a new screen, but it is hard with this older ThinkPad models - everybody is trying to rip you by selling "compatible" models. Maybe you could look into that LVDS-to-eDP converter thing and give a try to FHD IPS LCD. But again, beware of "compatible" IPS panels.

Or without spending any money, tear apart the machine and try to reseat the LVDS cable (connecting LCD with motherboard); although I don't believe it would miraculously fix the problem - if it wasn't working you'd be probably with a black screen at the moment.
X230, X1C7 and B156HW01 V.4 (from a W530 ThinkPad) used as an external monitor using LCD controller board.