Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Docking station options for T440p

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
Claven2

Docking station options for T440p

#1 Post by Claven2 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:48 pm

Does anyone know whether there is a docking station option for the T440P that extends a PCIe lane to a docking station connector of some sort? Basically most other Thinkpads of that era had a connection option like PCIe cards that are suitable for mid-grade external graphics options, while the only viable solution I've seen online for the T440P is to hack an adaptor cable into the WLAN M2 slot, forcing the use if an external USB wireless LAN adaptor and a cable sticking out the bottom of the laptop that can be rigged to an external PCI card sled.

Previous generation thinkpads (i think) used the same docking station connector on the bottom of the laptop and there were docking stations made that, for example, allowed you to mount performance video cards in the docking station itself, so I'm thinking the connection lanes are probably inherent in the docking connector design lenovo used back then.

So are there any docking station options that allow something like fast USB-C, Thunderbolt, M2 or similar connections to the T440P via the dock?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Docking station options for T440p

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:33 am

AFAIK they only make 40A0(Basic), 40A1(Pro) and 40A2(Ultra) docks that work with T440p.
There's also a USB3.0 dock, which needs a separate power supply and of course has no other connections to the laptop, other than USB.
After the T60/T61 era I haven't seen any docks that also take a PCI card.
So your DIY "handicraft" is required for your wish.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
Covid-19: Mask it or casket.

Claven2

Re: Docking station options for T440p

#3 Post by Claven2 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:23 am

That's what I was worried the answer would be.

So I may have to look an an option like this if I want eGPU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3D3cZmqn0

If I go this route with an adaptor cable running to the WLAN M2 connector, do I need to flash the bios first to get rid of the whitelist?

If yes, is there a non-linux tutorial around on how to dump and flash the modded bios?