Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T430 no longer powering on, only white light near the camera

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
stumo

T430 no longer powering on, only white light near the camera

#1 Post by stumo » Tue May 05, 2020 2:36 pm

T430 has stopped working - the only sign of life I see is the white light by the camera, which comes on when external power is connected. As best I can tell, this stays on when the lid gets closed.

The main battery has been pretty rubbish for a while, but it's always worked fined plugged in.

Now, when I plug it in I don't get any sign of it attempting to charge the battery (I think there used to be a light that came on for that)

I have tried all combinations of with/without main battery, and removing the coin cell battery to see if that helps

It had been working fine; recently a few keys in the middle row of the keyboard had stopped working, but I was making do with an external keyboard. So one thought I have is it could be the keyboard is broken & so the power button won't work. But I don't think that's how this light behaved, which makes me think it's something else.

Certain that the laptop didn't move between the last time it worked, and the next time it didn't. However it's been working fairly hard driving a HD monitor for video conferencing, and was on a chair, meaning it may have got a bit hot.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

kfzhu1229
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: T430 no longer powering on, only white light near the camera

#2 Post by kfzhu1229 » Tue May 05, 2020 4:19 pm

stumo wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:36 pm
T430 has stopped working - the only sign of life I see is the white light by the camera, which comes on when external power is connected. As best I can tell, this stays on when the lid gets closed.

The main battery has been pretty rubbish for a while, but it's always worked fined plugged in.

Now, when I plug it in I don't get any sign of it attempting to charge the battery (I think there used to be a light that came on for that)

I have tried all combinations of with/without main battery, and removing the coin cell battery to see if that helps

It had been working fine; recently a few keys in the middle row of the keyboard had stopped working, but I was making do with an external keyboard. So one thought I have is it could be the keyboard is broken & so the power button won't work. But I don't think that's how this light behaved, which makes me think it's something else.

Certain that the laptop didn't move between the last time it worked, and the next time it didn't. However it's been working fairly hard driving a HD monitor for video conferencing, and was on a chair, meaning it may have got a bit hot.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.
That white light is the ThinkLight. The T430 turns that on for one second and turns it back off as a part of POST. If it stays on and doesn't go off, you are having an issue with POSTing.
Does the light come on as soon as you plug the charger or after you press the power button?
The charging light is on the back of the lid with a battery icon. The led should flash a couple of times when you plug in the charger, and it would stay on or go off completely depending on the charge of the battery.
From what you said I think it was on 24/7 and therefore it is entirely possible something on the motherboard went bad.
This requires a lot of trial and errors to get it fixed, so be patient
Dell Lat CP MMX-233 64mb 40gb W2k
600 PII-266 416mb 40gb WXP
T23 PIII 1.13ghz 1gb W7
Lat D830 X9000 8gb 160gb WUXGA Ultrasharp fp W10
T530i 15.6" i7 16gb fp W10
UXGA:
A30p PIII 1.2 1gb W7 (IDTech)
T43p 2.26 2gb fp W10 (Sharp)
Lat C840 P4-2.5 2gb 60gb W7 (Ultrasharp)

stumo

#3 Post by stumo » Wed May 06, 2020 1:36 am

Does the light come on as soon as you plug the charger or after you press the power button?
As soon as charger is plugged in, power button does not appear to make a difference
The charging light is on the back of the lid with a battery icon. The led should flash a couple of times when you plug in the charger, and it would stay on or go off completely depending on the charge of the battery.
I'm not seeing that. Battery was already in a bad state - holding at most a couple of minutes charge
From what you said I think it was on 24/7 and therefore it is entirely possible something on the motherboard went bad.This requires a lot of trial and errors to get it fixed, so be patient
Not 24/7, but it's quite possible that it wasn't shut down properly so had been left on overnight. I have a memory of something in I think the rear left of the base being quite warm when I first found it wouldn't power on. Not sure if that gives any hints.

What are my options? Any guides that I can use?

Thanks

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed May 06, 2020 1:43 am

Remove battery, charger, wifi card and RAM.
Press/hold down power button for 20 seconds.
Plug in only charger, try to boot.
If the mobo is still "alive", it should beep 1-3-3-1.
If so, remove charger, put RAM back, try to boot.
If better, insert wifi and try again.
NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown till December 2020!
Covid-19: Mask it or Casket!
Check out The Boardroom for Mods and Other Services.

stumo

#5 Post by stumo » Sun May 31, 2020 12:21 pm

Thanks. Removed both RAM, wifi card. Still no change - thinklight on when ac adapter connected (no keyboard press required), never goes off.

Could a broken keyboard give this situation at all? Or is it most likely the motherboard?

Not sure I want to buy loads of bits if i can't have a reasonable certainty they'll fix it.