Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo boot diagnoastics recent

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
keithsketchley
Sophomore Member

Lenovo boot diagnoastics recent

#1 Post by keithsketchley » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:09 am

For making a bootable USB memory stick or CD, Lenovo has a UEFI file and a 'Windows' file, and seems to recommend use of the latter as newer.

But their 'Windows' file has nothing to do with booting.

And their UEFI boot program wants me to tell it what file on the computer I want to boot with from the stick.

Does anyone understand what's needed?

(T480 trying to diagnose blank internal display after Microsoft update)

atagunov

Re: Lenovo boot diagnoastics recent

#2 Post by atagunov » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Hi, I am afraid this all sounds a bit too vague. What exactly would you like to do? What Lenovo software are you trying to use? Links?

I understand that rather unfortunately you can no longer boot your T480. I myself would probably reach out for an Ubuntu installation image, put it on a USB stick and try to boot from that one. Then I'd "Try Ubuntu" to see if the machines works overall. There's also this facility to choose which drive to boot from, don't remember how to activate it.. Press Think Vantage during booting? Press something like F8, F11 or F12?.. I wonder if it then offers you a choice of booting from your normal drive.
X220, 2 *T520

keithsketchley
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by keithsketchley » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:01 pm

I can boot, with external display I can use the computer for now.

The problem is the internal display is not working, Windows updates are a possible reason but it more appears the display system is simply not working.

Lenovo downloads offer two utilities.
One is UEFI to boot from CD or USB stick.
The other is referred to as 'Windows', Lenovo claim it is a replacement for UEFI boot utility but I seen it as fundamentally different. (It checks hardware in detail but does not list a display system test other than test display pixels and colours.)

Another thread or three here discusses the traditional function keys not working, getting into BIOS setup. and setting the computer to give boot options.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:51 am

If your display doesn't work, you may have blown the backlight fuse.
Still NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown until at least 31 January 2021!
Covid-19: Stay safe, so Mask it or Casket!

Vopu
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Vopu » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Hi , i am sure you have checked it already but , since you have and are using an external monitor , i would first check the F7 hotkey , not accidentially selected as external monitor only, then head to support and download and install hotkey support again. This will give you F12 at boot to change the boot priority temporarily , say to boot into USB HDD and as suggested boot into a live usb linux (ubuntu/mint) that you make using rufus to check if the screen works there. Problem is you are/may not be seeing your bios at boot on external monitor and maybe something is changed there , assuming you have secure boot disabled and on legacy , i have read hotkeys will let you boot into bios and stop booting further into the OS, then with F7 you can see your bios on your external monitor. This works on Dell's and Hp's as far as i know. Press enter at boot to get boot menu and enter again in 8 sec ? to stop timeout, seledt F1 for bios , F7 to see if you can get it off to your monitor from there? Or just after stopping timeout. Sequence may be different as i use an old bios . Hope that helps. :eek: