Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Moving snow in T450 screen

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
mercury168

Moving snow in T450 screen

#1 Post by mercury168 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:24 am

Hi,

Just the other day moving green and rainbow snowy pixels started moving around my screen and also near the mouse. I did an Lcd test for dead pixels and I had none. I connected the T450 to an external monitor and the snow showed up in my fully defect free external monitor. So it is clear to me it is not an Lcd or flex cable issue. All drivers are up to date thru driver booster..... so am not even sure if it's running the right driver but whatever driver it is, it's updated.

Can someone help me out please? I surely hope this is not a hardware issue but whatever it is, please share your thoughts and experiences and let me know please. Thank you in advance.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Moving snow in T450 screen

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:39 am

Unfortunately those are the signs of a dying GPU.
Time to start looking for a new motherboard.
Still NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown until 5 March 2021!
Covid-19: Stay safe, so Mask it or Casket!

mercury168

#3 Post by mercury168 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:50 am

Oh no. How sad. Thank you for your opinion.

mercury168

#4 Post by mercury168 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:05 am

Just as an update. Driver booster showed that all my drivers were updated. So, I uninstalled the video display driver and windows automatically installed a Microsoft basic display adapter upon restart and it removed the snow issue. Went to the Lenovo site to install the latest Intel drivers and it snowed so I unisnstalled that again, and then went to the Intel site to install the latest driver and it again snowed so i unisnstalled that again as well. So what resolved the issue was the stock Microsoft basic display adapter for those who may be having the same issue. I just lost the night mode (I have no idea why) and had to install f.lux. That's it. Cheers!