Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T440P Newbie/About to loose it on clunkpad

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
Vopu
Freshman Member

T440P Newbie/About to loose it on clunkpad

#1 Post by Vopu » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:54 am

Hi Guys,
After some updates on my T61 and getting it up the level i wanted , i wanted a new toy and jumped on the T440P avertised locally on ebay. I have ordered a standart i5-4300M with 500GB HDD & 4 GB ram thinking i will upgrade it anyway. Seller was quite helpfull for some questions i had , but strangely did not go into detail about the components. Later on i figured the unit was part of a corporate stock and since he had a batch of these ad vas generic. they are business sellers and do asset management and corporate stock only. Anyway, when i received the unit i was chuffed. As far as i can see unit is in pristine A grade, back cover has not even been opened before, not messed about clean unit. To my surprise when i opened the back cover , i had 2x4GB 1600Mhz Ram , A liteOn Backlit keyboard, an Ericsson N5321 gw Mobile Broadband, fingerprint reader and SD card reader. A clean Win10Pro installed. I immediately cleaned the unit , ran some benchmarks and so far i am very happy with it. I have done the following upgrades and off one i ran into the usual clunkpad driver problem.
1- 250 GB boot SSD
2- 2x8GB (16GB) 1600Mhz ram (i had from my HP Powerbook 455)
3- Ultrabay caddy - Swapped HDD from sata main to caddy for Storage
4- Synaptics 3 button Trackpad
Later on may be an IPS pannel ( came with TN B140XTN03.3) i7 4702mq/4712,Wifi AC and swap the AC adapter with a 65 or 90 watt one (came with 45 watt), i have undervolted the cpu by 100 mV and unit is stable and get much better battery usage. I dont game, do rendering or photo editing, this will be a light user /web browsing machine so i can hold off the i7 for now , as i am avare i5 performs similarly on single core level to an i7. As i said unit is clean and not abused , HDD has close to 5000 Hrs usage, Battery capacity is over 96%,(6Cell) fan is silent. Bios is on Version GLET70WW (2.24 ). I have only installed the chipset drivers from intel and Lenovo system update. As a rule of thumb i always control Win updates, block telemetry and all other unnecessary windows settings, and run OOSU10 to avoid microsoft tampering and snooping around.
I have followed this forum together with Octoperf and countless regedit posts about getting the synaptics trackpad to work but no avail. I have tried all sorts drivers advertised working , used gpedit to block the drivers to be replaced, disabled internet acces through out the processes, re-edited inf files ,also disabled driver signing from command line (testsigning) , some drivers seemed to work but disappear after boot, some stayed on but thinkpad tab stayed greyed out , sometimes i lost both trackpad and trackpoint . I have done everything i could think of but could not get the synaptics to work. I bought the touchpad from aliexpress , at first price seemed too low and i thought it was either Alps or not geniune synaptics.All reviews and feedback seems to suggest its geniune. Than thought the unit itself is defective but it shows up in device manager , i can install/uninstall drivers, i can see HW id's so it is recognized. I used the original connector from the original trackpad and there are no kinks , no cuts. I am about to loose my mind over this so much so i have taken out the 3point button one and went back to original clunkpad. I can see the HW id as ACPI\VEN_LEN&DEV_0036 and as said have tried every known driver from T450/S/Yoga but could not get it to work. I need your advice guys , did i get a crappad ? or may be another version synaptics for a different model ? I have the pictures but it seems i can only upload url's? and imgur link doesn't show up on post preview ?
https://imgur.com/lDVnWfZ.png
https://imgur.com/OP1LItg.png
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3271749 ... 4c4dn9hICN

Thanks for your help in advance.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T440P Newbie/About to loose it on clunkpad

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:53 am

The new touchpad looks very much like a genuine Synaptics one.
On my T440p I have an Alps touchpad+buttons, but since I only need the 3 buttons, the touchpad is disabled.
Did you download jbgc28ww.exe?
Maybe try the previous https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/jbgc27ww.exe
NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown till December 2020!
Covid-19: Mask it or Casket!
Check out The Boardroom for Mods and Other Services.

Vopu
Freshman Member

#3 Post by Vopu » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:28 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:53 am
Did you download jbgc28ww.exe?
Maybe try the previous https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/jbgc27ww.exe
Hi
RealBlackStuff,
Even though the price seems to be a factor to support suspicion i don't have any doubt that this is an original synaptics, and does not have a HW problem, its brand new.
I have tried close to 20 drivers, including jbgc28ww.exe all advised by either this forum, or elsewhere, after loosing pretty much all hope went on a rampage and downloaded every single driver i can find referenced to on forums or posts , created a specific folder for all this , kind of like a selection , what can i try today :D
Now i must stress i know my way around computers, but also i am aware it's a loosing battle against microsoft with pretty much removing user will and this agressive way of forcing us out :oops: I have not accepted defeat yet but i really am close to loosing it . I have checked every possible combination of driver installations, checked bios ,digged into group policy but couldn't get it to work. Winupdates are already disabled , drivers excluded from updates , disabled driver access search order to specific microsoft servers, disabled driver insatallation priority for signed drivers under group policy. Tried safe mode installations , Nope! Also for the drivers i have found i have tried both Win7,8,8.1 ran them in compatibility mode, or Win10 32/64 versions. So far only thing i have not tried is to try it on a live Linux bootable but as i said i have already went back to original touchpad. :eek: At this point i am thinking either bios version has got something to do with it, a lenovo update i am avoiding or this synaptics is for another model with a specific firmware. One thing i realised is even in testsigning after installation reboot, it takes alot time to get to desktop like 25-35 seconds even with a boot ssd, makes me think drivers are overwritten at boot. I also thought of cleaning the specific drivers (i installed and failed) from the driver cache but it is hell of a job. One other thing is, Even i see the driver istallation successfull, with ultranav under control pannel/programs, with the next boot it is erased , and device manager switches back to a generic synaptics driver from 2014(i assume from driver cache) Also even though i am the sole account user and the account is admin, when editing inf files i can not save them with some sort of privilege warning unless i go into folder options and give the current user (Me/admin) under users full read/write rights. I have also created a dummy admin account and coul not get it to work from there either. All driver files downloaded are blocked automatically that i have to unblock before proceeding to install. One last thing is i run all driver installations as admin.Dont double click i mean. :cry:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:36 pm

To overcome access-problems, years ago I found this little gem somewhere:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
Save it on your computer as: InstallTakeOwnership.reg
Double-click it to install it.
Now go into Windows Explorer to a (sub)directory that 'protests' being accessed.
If you right-click it, you will see "Take Ownership" as an option.
After you do so, you can literally do as you like!
Use it wisely.

FYI: I still use W7-Pro/SP1 which has not been updated since 2016. Works perfectly.
You will not see that crap POS W10 in my house in my lifetime!

Some of the earlier Synaptics drivers used for T440/p were: n10gx25w.exe, 6hgx81ww.exe and jega15ww.exe
Also have a look at: viewtopic.php?p=784359#p784359
NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown till December 2020!
Covid-19: Mask it or Casket!
Check out The Boardroom for Mods and Other Services.

Vopu
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Vopu » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:05 pm

Hi , this sure will come handy :) , however i have overcame this file access problem by temporarily making my account a trusted installer :)
Some of the earlier Synaptics drivers used for T440/p were: n10gx25w.exe, 6hgx81ww.exe and jega15ww.exe
Also have a look at: viewtopic.php?p=784359#p784359
i have tried, n10gx is no go , but 6hgx and jega15 for sure i will check these .
I have seen and followed this set of instructions also, for some strange reason , i can see 3 LEN0036 but always 1 or max 2 Len200E depending on the driver version , i believe this is due to the file/driver being the latest/updated versions over the years. Also one thing i can add to this tutorial is; it's a pain to try to constantly reboot to advanced options to avoid driver signature forcement by windows , i would advise Cmd(Admin)/ bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING OFF when done bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON
I really am very much at edge with Win10, this is a hassle to constantly battle with the operating system, anything being forced , user preference ignorance has no boundaries in Win10. I ran dual or tripple boot machines before , i may go for an ubuntu /Win8./Win10. Win 7 OR ? 8 was the native OS if i am not mistaken, and like you i belive in keeping stuff as it is and it had been years since i dont buy the bullsh. of microsoft's a security issue has been identified garbage to push new /better/super dupper updates. With each OS or update we are loosing more and more of our powers over the systems. Keeping it off the net , i still use an XP Corp. Sp3 machine , easy on the system resources.
I have heard of Fedora alot but have no experience , instead of ubuntu maybe i can try that? Also , i am leaning towards Machintosh but not willing to mod the bios, and the ''Myth'' of 2.32 to 2.36 bios whitelist bug seems to be not holding truth.
Thanks for your advice again , i will try those drivers i had missed and get back to report. One more thing that i can try is to load the virgin image i took of first installation without any kind of updates or internet connection. with generic Win10 drivers before driver cache has been updated? Hmm... :D

Vopu
Freshman Member

#6 Post by Vopu » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Hi Guys,
I have been looking into this a bit more lately. Eventhough i have not reinstalled the T450 Synaptics, i have been checking the driver part of things and compatibility issues.
I have checked Microsoft and as suspected with every new update more more people are loosing functionality on some components. Mainly Connexant drivers and Synaptics drivers. With every other driver i install microsoft records the driver cache and hw installation and digital signature to use it to block installatons. Notice just like every driver
and hw you install OS keeps a record of it caches it and sends it with next telemetry. Say when you transfer a pic from your phone by bluetooth Win10 first caches your phone info , than enables you to pair with it. Also there is the issue of Lenovo driver compatibility testing against updates. As far as i can see Driver testing support for T440P has ended with Win10 1803 update, since than with 1809,1903,1909 and 2004 updates Lenovo does not officially support /test drivers specificly for compatibility. Even though there are Win10 drivers for Synaptics from Lenovo, they specificly state some drivers may not work , some may loose functionality. Trying to use unsupported driver of a higher model with a different HW id also overcomplicates things.
And my search continues .. :roll:
Vopu