Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Is my 90W charger fake?

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
tik34Load

Is my 90W charger fake?

#1 Post by tik34Load » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:19 pm

Purchased it from an Amazon seller. It was listed as new and arrived in what looks like a brand new box straight from Lenovo with a red lenovo sticker with little gold padlocks imprinted on it, the P/N 0B46994, and other info such as S/N & Origin. It also came with a 2 prong power cord that has a sticker on it that says it made by Longwell.

What has me kind of suspicious about it is that the front doesn't have the word lenovo imprinted on the front and instead only "90W". I also find it odd that on the other side it says "For lenovo information equipment use only " but in the other languages below with the same message, the l in Lenovo is capitalized.

Lastly, its odd to me that it says "Lenovo is trademarks of Lenovo...."

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Is my 90W charger fake?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:50 am

tik34Load wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:19 pm
the front doesn't have the word lenovo imprinted on the front and instead only "90W"
Makes me wonder: how blind are you?

It's the back that doesn't have Lenovo on it.
NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown till December 2020!
Covid-19: Mask it or Casket!
Check out The Boardroom for Mods and Other Services.

Vopu
Freshman Member

#3 Post by Vopu » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:24 am

Hi,
I am afraid the answer is yes, do not even think of plugging that thing to your laptop. Depending on the model of your laptop i would advise you only buy original adapters from the manufacturer.Same goes for the batteries.Always. I believe this is from an amazon marketplace seller, perhaps he swapped the original packaging and sent you a compatible one. Has it been advertised as Original/Genuine ?, if so return it immediately.
That being said, here is the original 90W slim.Check the weight if you are still not convinced. Weight (US) 0.79 lbs/360Gr.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessorie ... /p/0B46994
Regards
Vopu

dr_st

#4 Post by dr_st » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:18 am

Vopu wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:24 am
I am afraid the answer is yes, do not even think of plugging that thing to your laptop.
Wrong.

My genuine Lenovo charger (which I know is genuine, because it came new with my company-issued work laptop less than 2 weeks ago) looks exactly the same - no embossed "lenovo" on the front, only the wattage (mine is a 65W USB-C), and all the "weird" messages are identical, down to the letter. I checked.

Lastly (although irrelevant here), I have encountered a few "compatible" knock-off chargers for Lenovo laptops, and they never had any problems working for me. Their only issue is that sometimes they do not report the correct wattage, in which case it can be a problem as the laptop can overdraw. Once again it is irrelevant here, because here we are dealing with a genuine charger that came in a genuine box.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

Vopu
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Vopu » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:39 am

Hi, dr-st,
Just because your company issued you a laptop 2 weeks ago with a new charger on it's own does not make the adapter a Genuine one.For the fact that it came in a lenovo package either. And for the issue of laptop drawing more than it is required from an adapter is actually on it's own the real problem.
The industry is created with manufacturing divided into original OEM's to be sold by Lenovo themselves only , or their authorised sellers. with strict quality control. Than there is the same adapter may be coming from the same manufacturing line but with less control and standart to be sold onto the accessories market. To top this there is also cost saving by dividing the manufacturing and markets to EMEA, US, Asia with different quality standarts and consumer protection laws.
Eneloop's made by panasonic/sanyo will never be the same as Ikea ones or rumored amazon repackaged ones.
I am afraid i do not agree with you on this one but very much open to be corrected by someone else who has more indept knowledge than me. :eek:
Regards
Vopu

Screamer

#6 Post by Screamer » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:13 am

Vopu wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:39 am
Just because your company issued you a laptop 2 weeks ago with a new charger on it's own does not make the adapter a Genuine one.
It seems that you have your own personal definition for the word, genuine.
Vopu wrote:
For the fact that it came in a lenovo package either. And for the issue of laptop drawing more than it is required from an adapter is actually on it's own the real problem.
Are you implying that even if it came in a Lenovo box, it's still not genuine in your terms?

I suppose that nearly every single modern laptop made nowadays, would be a massive problem for you to comprehend as they mostly exhibit this 'issue'. Luckily, some companies have opted to allow their machines to draw from their batteries to reduce the load/power draw on the charger.
Vopu wrote:
Than there is the same adapter may be coming from the same manufacturing line but with less control and standart to be sold onto the accessories market.
To top this there is also cost saving by dividing the manufacturing and markets to EMEA, US, Asia with different quality standarts and consumer protection laws.
Eneloop's made by panasonic/sanyo will never be the same as Ikea ones or rumored amazon repackaged ones.
How does this relate to the genuineness or authenticity of the charger? Does it not meet your standards of your own personal definition of the word genuine?
Vopu wrote:
open to be corrected by someone else who has more indept knowledge than me. :eek:
What kind of in-depth knowledge? To be able to tell which Lenovo charger is genuine in your own terms and standards?

dr_st

#7 Post by dr_st » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:28 am

Vopu wrote:
I am afraid i do not agree with you on this one but very much open to be corrected by someone else who has more indept knowledge than me. :eek:
Looks like you were. But you choose not to take their word, and continue spreading FUD and unsubstantiated rumors.

The original question has been answered. The OP is free to believe whoever he wants.

Since I don't think we need threads of the kind "My battery came with the sticker slightly chipped off in the corner; I'm worried it's fake", I'm gonna close this one. I think you can find better discussions of various "horrors" related to fake products elsewhere.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU