Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Bios modded t530 w/ ax200ngw issues

T430 and later, plus T530 and later series specific matters only
Sunshine701c

Bios modded t530 w/ ax200ngw issues

#1 Post by Sunshine701c » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:04 am

So I modded my t530 with 1vyrain So I could use a ax200ngw wifi 6 card (mostly for the bluetooth honestly) here's the ebay listing of the card+adapter that I got (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Band-Inte ... 2749.l2649)

My issue is that there are 2 mini pcie slots on the t530 motherboard. If I put the card in the full-sized slot, the bluetooth works fine, but the wifi doesn't work. If i put the card in the half-sized slot (the adapter will fit with some modding if that's it's permanent place) the wifi works, but the bluetooth doesn't.

any idea what my issue is? I've read some things about usb lines not being present on one of the slots, and if the bt portion of the card communicates through usb that would make sense. I'm pretty comfortable with soldering, so if it comes down to just running a couple of wires from the pcie slot to an unused usb port on the motherboard then that's a possibility for me. I really want to use both the higher speed wifi 6 and bluetooth 5.0

I should clarify that I took out the internal bluetooth module, and disabled it in the bios.

ATM I have both cards in my t530, so I can use bluetooth and wifi, but i'd like to get that down to one. Any help is appreciated.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Bios modded t530 w/ ax200ngw issues

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:47 am

NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown till December 2020!
Covid-19: Mask it or Casket!
Check out The Boardroom for Mods and Other Services.

Screamer

Re: Bios modded t530 w/ ax200ngw issues

#3 Post by Screamer » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:40 am

Sunshine701c wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:04 am
any idea what my issue is?
I think you may have forgotten to insulate pin 51 on the MiniPCIE adapter. Taping (recommended) or scraping off (not recommended) the contact should do the trick.
Sunshine701c wrote:
I've read some things about usb lines not being present on one of the slots
As far as I know, both slots do have a USB connection going through. Although, I can't confirm this as I don't own a T530.

The schematic did mention a USB connection being present on the WLAN slot, though.
Sunshine701c wrote:
I should clarify that I took out the internal bluetooth module, and disabled it in the bios.
Was the Bluetooth module part of your T530's factory configuration? As in, did it come with the Bluetooth module pre-installed? Or did you add it in by yourself?