Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T560 Devsleep issue?

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
Jeff12671

T560 Devsleep issue?

#1 Post by Jeff12671 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:33 pm

Hi, I have owned a T560 issue for about 4 years and about 7-8 months ago it began having random freeze-ups and BSOD's while running Windows 10. It also has had consistent problems recognizing at bootup the Intel Pro 2500 series SSD 180 GB SATA (not M.2) drive I have installed. I am consistently booting into the Windows Boot Manager multiple times where the BIOS detects it as a Sandforce 200026BB drive before after maybe 6-7 or more reboots it finally correctly detects the SSD drive and loads Windows 10. Initially kind of being clueless about this and the Devsleep issue I focused on the Windows freeze-up problem first and did all the requisite checks ... e.g., I made sure all the drivers were updated, all Windows and Lenovo updates were applied, updated the BIOS to the latest version, extensively checked for viruses, ran SFC /scannow as well as running lots of hardware diagnostics checking everything I could find. I also fiddled with the power settings disabling link management and also monitored CPU temps and make sure the fan was working properly. No apparent issues were found and the freeze-ups persisted. It then dawned on me the boot-up problem and the freeze-up issue were probably connected and that's when I stumbled across the Devsleep issue that seems to affect my drive series as well as the 530 & 535 series of drives. The symptoms I've been experiencing really seem to fit the profile of the Devsleep issue and at this point I'm about 99% sure that has to be the root problem. For those unfamiliar with it basically what happens is the SSD drive enters into a very low power state and the BIOS is unable to wake up the drive. The way Intel describes the problem is "the cause of the detection issue could be related to the DevSleep feature of these SSDs. This happens when the motherboard is unable to wake the drive from the deep sleep state." They recommend updating the BIOS to the latest version which I have already done (ver 1.38) and I even tried rolling back the BIOS as far as I could (ver 1.20) and neither BIOS change had any effect. Intel also recommends that if changing the BIOS doesn't fix the problem to update the firmware on the SSD. I did see another post online with someone who the problem with the 530 series drive and the firmware update tool did work effectively in their case. I was hopeful this would fix my problem but unfortunately after trying to upgrade my SSD firmware their update tool said I was already at the latest firmware version (LUsi). Intel also describes a separate firmware upgrade tool specifically designed to turn on or off the Devsleep feature on these drives (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25348) however when I tried that tool it basically just said again my firmware was already up to date and their was nothing to change. I kind of thought it would give me the option to turn the Devsleep feature on or off my drive but again it would only tell me my firmware is up to date and gave me no options to change anything. So anyway, I'm pretty much feel I am a stopping point now, their is nothing else I can see to do unless someone knows of a way to turn off the Devsleep feature on my Intel Pro 2500 series SSD. If that's not possible then I think I'm pretty much looking at just having to get a new SSD drive. Also, as sidenote, Intel is blaming this problem on BIOS implementations but I don't really buy that, it worked fine for approximately 3 1/2 years, something must have changed hardware-wise for this problem to suddenly develop. I ran extensive tests and diagnostics on my SSD drive without any reported issues but maybe it's the hard drive controller beginning to fail that's causing this problem, that's my best guess. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I would really appreciate it.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: T560 Devsleep issue?

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:45 pm

If this happens on cold boot only, you can try a couple of things:

1. Disable any kind of power management for hard drives / SATA devices in Windows
2. Disable the fast startup feature of Windows, so that a shutdown is actually a shutdown and not a hibernation.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Jeff12671

#3 Post by Jeff12671 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:40 pm

Hi, thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it. I actually had already set both of those, the hard drive was set to never go sleep on either AC or battery and the fast startup was disabled. In addition, the AHCI link power management settings were both set to Active which means the OS or the computer should not have been able to put the HD into low power mode from what I understand. None of this affected the freeze-up issue unfortunately. Also, I neglected to mention the system seemed to freeze-up during idle periods, sometimes it would only sit without any input for just a couple minutes was all it took for it to freeze. Also, when it did freeze it was kind of a slow motion freeze, the mouse would still operate temporarily but windows or tabs on a browser became unresponsive and after maybe 10 seconds or so the system would freeze up completely. I did check pretty closely the event viewer and was unable to glean anything useful and dump files were never created which kind of makes sense if the HD is no longer detectable.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:35 am

Your posts are so compact, they are almost impossible to read.
I gave up after a few sentences.
Please start new sentences on a new line, it will make those posts much more readable.

Apart from that, Intel 2500 series is a POS thanks to its crappy Sandforce controller and its Intel Admin remote spyware.
Plenty other complaints about those drives.
Replace it with a Samsung 860 EVO or PRO.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Covid-19: Stay safe, so still Mask it or Casket!