Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T480 charging port problems

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
baertracks
Sophomore Member

T480 charging port problems

#1 Post by baertracks » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:05 am

My wife has been using a T480 touchscreen ThinkPad for three years. She likes it very much. Recently, however, it has not been consistently charging the battery. And on one instance the battery "died" during a Zoom class while she was teaching English.

I see that the charging port is touchy. If I insert the C plug into the port and gently press down (or tape down) the cord to a table top it will charge. But that's a short-term solution. This is, I suspect, a common problem with this sort of plug. My question is whether there is any sort of simple (non-soldering) solution to fix this kind of problem? Or, will the occasional wiggling of the plug eventually break the charging port completely? Thanks for your advice. -FRANK

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: T480 charging port problems

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:45 am

I've heard that type-C ports can be finicky and fail unreasonably fast. Can't you charge through the Thunderbolt port next to it, though? Or is it occupied by something else?
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

baertracks
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by baertracks » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:20 am

dr_st wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:45 am
I've heard that type-C ports can be finicky and fail unreasonably fast. Can't you charge through the Thunderbolt port next to it, though? Or is it occupied by something else?
What a great idea!! Yes, that seems to work just fine. Is there any downside to that approach. She doesn't use that port for anything else.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by dr_st » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:29 am

If she doesn't use it, then I guess there are no downsides. Well, other than, if that port gets worn out / damaged as well, you may be in a predicament.

At some point she might want to use that port to connect the docking station, but then the docking station will charge the laptop, while it itself will be plugged in through its own power jack.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

keithsketchley

#5 Post by keithsketchley » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:30 pm

Docking station is sensitive to full insertion of connector, perhaps lint or something impedes, see viewtopic.php?f=68&t=133039.

Loonovo design/manufacturing quality.

thelash
Freshman Member

#6 Post by thelash » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:30 am

I have a t480 in good condition with the c type charge port working well. However, I have been reading about hassles with c type ports, including the fact that the charge port of the t480 is attached directly to the motherboard and if it gets damaged bad enough it requires a new motherboard to fix the problem. Not good, and unlike my older thinkpads where the charge cable dock is a separate replaceable device attached to the motherboard by a cable.
So I got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Adapter ... 6NGBC?th=1
It's a two part magnetic connector so that one part remains in the port and is not being continually pushed in and pulled out, and the other clicks on to it magnetically. Works very well.
T430 ips, T440p.

ruud

#7 Post by ruud » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:02 pm

The following experience may help.
Due to an inadvertent AC off switch on a power strip, the battery on my T480 ran down very low (to 1%). When connecting the original 65W power supply, the tiny LED next to the USB-C port blinked orange, then went off. Wiggling the wire got a few similar reactions. This Forum helped me to run the machine off the next port (which apparently just runs the machine, but does not charge the battery). Thanks!!
However, I thought I was in for a mechanical/electrical problem on the USB-C connector or port -- worst case a motherboard repair and/or new computer...

However, from earlier/other ThinkPads I had a bigger power supplies (90W, 230W) with the rectangular yellow "Slim Tip" plug. I also had a yellow-plug-to-USB-C adapter (Elecjet AnyWatt SQ).
Rigged that up that combination (I think it was the 230W supply -> yellow-to-USBC -> T480 ) ... and the T480 battery started charging again. Everything seems to be happy now.

I suspect from the LED blink-and-off response for the 65W supply, that the initial current required for a near-completely discharged battery overwhelmed the supply and shut it down.
While the beefier supply could handle the current demand. Phew!

Now with everything recharged and observable, the 65W USB-C plug is still a little finicky -- it seems to be effectively a polarized plug now, working only when plugged in one way, not when plugged in "upside down".

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#8 Post by TPFanatic » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:57 pm

The only USB C devices I owned were Android smartphones and I quickly developed hatred for the port.

I keep the phone in my pocket like a normal person. This is enough for lint to build up inside the phone which then physically transfers to every USB C cable in my home and car. Soon all cables are fouled and the phone as well refuses to electrically contact.

I wind up too frequently having to take a needle and probe inside the phone's port to remove massive amounts of lint. This improves the situation but it is a temporary relief. I never bothered to clean the cables because I jumped ship to iPhone.

Apple Lightning is also susceptible, but only on the phone side of things. I've cleaned out my iPhone's port once, and it's coming up on time to do it again.

The original Lenovo barrel and slim chargers are physically infinitely better than USB C.

When I received an X330 with the USB C charging port, I immediately changed it to the barrel port.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#9 Post by axur-delmeria » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:02 pm

Have you tried a different charger?
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:09 am

Has anyone tried to connect a flat yellow DC-in from e.g. T440p/T450 to the VBUS and GND from the USB-C?
It should take 20V/5A without problems!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

keithsketchley

#11 Post by keithsketchley » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:04 pm

Indeed 'delmaria', I have had failures of the Lenovo power brick.

To avoid wearing out the jack, perhaps could use an extender cable so wear is on an easily replaceable cable and there's much less stress on the jack - especially if buy cable with right angle end.
https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Extension- ... 208&sr=1-3 is a basic form, note 'Extender' as there is a zoo of plug<>plug cables to power thing like smartphones from your computer.
Or https://www.amazon.ca/Extension-UseBean ... =1-18&th=1 for right angle, I presume would work with Thinkpad as lists several devices including Communist Chinese UAV ('drone', DJI brand).
I am proceeding to order both types.
BUT checking that the right angle one can pass enough current, I presume ones claimed to be for MacBook have more capability than ones intended for smartphones. (I'll use straight cables for USB signals from back of dock, not to power the computer, right angle one for use in my vehicle with Lenovo DC PS - I'm buying a very short one, will be some loss through the extra connectors in line.)

I'm doing that with USB3 ports on right side of T480. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B083Q38K2N?psc ... ct_details