Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SOLVED: T450s TrackPoint not working but TrackPad is working

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
baertracks
Sophomore Member

SOLVED: T450s TrackPoint not working but TrackPad is working

#1 Post by baertracks » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:05 am

I've received a T450s laptop to refurbish. Everything on the laptop seems to work OK except that the TrackPoint is not working. At the same time the Trackpad IS working. Also a wired mouse plugged into the USB port is working fine.

In the "ThinkPad" tab of "Mouse Properties" the "Enable TrackPoint" section is greyed out so that I am unable to "Enable TrackPoint". In BIOS, however, the CONFIG tab indicates that TrackPoint is enabled.

I tried updating everything available using the Lenovo Systems Updater and Windows 10 updates. No change.

I tried uninstalling the Synaptics Pointing Device in the Device Manager and rebooting. No change

I have removed, cleaned and reinstalled the keyboard taking care to make sure that the keyboard ribbons are fully installed and clicked into place. I hate removing the keyboard on this model!

Does this sound like the problem is a bad keyboard? Or, is there another setting that I am missing that can enable the TrackPoint?

Thanks for any advice and you can provide.

UPDATE: I JUST FOUND AN SPARE KEYBOARD AND USED IT TO REPLACE THE ONE WHERE THE TRACKPOINT WAS NOT WORKING. THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM. SO, THIS WAS A HARDWARE (KEYBOARD) PROBLEM AND NOT A SOFTWARE ISSUE.

FRANK