Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T480 dock issues

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
OhYou_

T480 dock issues

#1 Post by OhYou_ » Wed May 18, 2022 6:27 pm

I have a T480 that is having a hard time with displays on the docking station.
on a pro dock it will work with just one screen, it doesnt matter which port you use, but the second is detected and cannot be enabled in the os.
on an ultra dock it crashes the driver on a loop, causing a lag spike every second and does not display on any monitors obviously
both docks tested fine with my t495

I immediately thought of the thunderbolt controller issue, and attempted to update it. No change
I also thought it may not be flashing or could be corrupt still, so I popped on a programming clip and externally flashed it. still exact same issue.
Of course when I google for other issues, I am just spammed with the thunderbolt issue, which this does not appear to be.

What other steps can I take? i guess i can replace the thunderbolt rom chip but at this point i'm not sure that is my problem anymore, and it flashed and verified just fine.

OhYou_

Re: T480 dock issues

#2 Post by OhYou_ » Tue May 24, 2022 10:29 am

bit of an update. i bought a lenovo thunderbolt3 dock for it.
it seems to work mostly fine.
But I do fear now the user is going to attempt to force the plug into the wrong spot or break it in some other way.
I'm really not sure at this point what the issue is as if tb3 works fine, and the docks both work fine with my t495, then there really isnt anything else it could be?
perhaps charge port damage? I'm not sure how the dock pinout works but I can take a good assumption that both typec ports output 1x DP each, but then that wouldnt make much sense when either port works fine for one monitor. Unless it has a switch in the dock and always hits the second typec first.