Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T480 dock issues

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
OhYou_

T480 dock issues

#1 Post by OhYou_ » Wed May 18, 2022 6:27 pm

I have a T480 that is having a hard time with displays on the docking station.
on a pro dock it will work with just one screen, it doesnt matter which port you use, but the second is detected and cannot be enabled in the os.
on an ultra dock it crashes the driver on a loop, causing a lag spike every second and does not display on any monitors obviously
both docks tested fine with my t495

I immediately thought of the thunderbolt controller issue, and attempted to update it. No change
I also thought it may not be flashing or could be corrupt still, so I popped on a programming clip and externally flashed it. still exact same issue.
Of course when I google for other issues, I am just spammed with the thunderbolt issue, which this does not appear to be.

What other steps can I take? i guess i can replace the thunderbolt rom chip but at this point i'm not sure that is my problem anymore, and it flashed and verified just fine.

OhYou_

Re: T480 dock issues

#2 Post by OhYou_ » Tue May 24, 2022 10:29 am

bit of an update. i bought a lenovo thunderbolt3 dock for it.
it seems to work mostly fine.
But I do fear now the user is going to attempt to force the plug into the wrong spot or break it in some other way.
I'm really not sure at this point what the issue is as if tb3 works fine, and the docks both work fine with my t495, then there really isnt anything else it could be?
perhaps charge port damage? I'm not sure how the dock pinout works but I can take a good assumption that both typec ports output 1x DP each, but then that wouldnt make much sense when either port works fine for one monitor. Unless it has a switch in the dock and always hits the second typec first.

keithsketchley

#3 Post by keithsketchley » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:42 pm

The mechanical interface of the Ultra dock to the computer certainly is clunky.

Make sure mating faces are fully clean - no bits of paper for example.

Inspect the computer's power port (USB-C) to ensure a contact has not been shoved aside.

(Pro version is advertised as mechanically the same but has fewer ports in back.
I speak of USB-C wide dock, Lenovo's naming of docks is a zoo, you have to know the model number before purchasing, for example 40AJ is the Ultra version of USB-C wide dock.)
Last edited by keithsketchley on Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keithsketchley

#4 Post by keithsketchley » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:39 am

For normal power supply into computer, and into dock to power it:

Strain relief not provided by Lenovo, I make my own.

(Flexible large diameter drinking straw to start, ideally something to guide into right angle configuration.

With slim size of USB-C power plug perhaps soft copy tubing squished to oval shape, thread plug and cable through. That will give straight out strain protection, then perhaps carefully bend tubing without plug in it then thread plug into end - tricky because tubing will want to bend across narrower dimension.)

keithsketchley

#5 Post by keithsketchley » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:43 am

I have purchased a replacement USB-C power jack via eBay in case my jack wears out or is damaged, you can also get the whole power-Thunderbolt jack assembly.

I am scheming to add a retainer of some kind to far end of dock to stabilize computer.
May have to open bottom of dock, have to figure out how to release an apparent hidden latch at far corner, suspect there is also one near the doghouse but have to unlatch at far corner first, because of lock protruding through cover have to lift from far corner first.

OhYou_

#6 Post by OhYou_ » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:39 pm

forgot I made this thread, I made another but deleted it. I post here
I've now had this issue on a 5th t480/580. They will just start sometimes not connecting the second display when docked, and it will worsen to where it absolutely refuses to connect to more than one display.
5 laptops, all the same issue.
the second screen will remain disabled in windows and enabling it will not work.
In the case of 4k60 displays that require high bandwidth, they both will not work.

steps taken on this particular laptop:
test and verify each port with type c display
test and verify thunderbolt
test on three docks. all are tested working with other laptops.

video of problem: https://files.catbox.moe/f4oa4t.mp4
pic of thunderbolt working: https://files.catbox.moe/v3bo9t.jpg

I am thinking based on the new issues with 4k60 through the dock that it is a displayport version negotiation between the laptop and the dock.

OhYou_

#7 Post by OhYou_ » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:40 pm

Put in a temporary hard drive and installed windows 10.
No change to the issue.
issue is with the laptop hardware/firmware.

Next steps I think will be taking a look at the EC, trying to downgrade it.

OhYou_

#8 Post by OhYou_ » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:56 pm

tested bios and ec downgrade.
no change
reflash to latest bios and ec
no change
reflash thunderbolt controller to nvm ver 23 (latest) no change
re-seat internal battery and cmos, no change
visual inspection of docking ports, all look intact and no issues.

The laptop is still under warranty so I have filled out a claim. I'll go ahead and see what they say.
Hopefully I can get some insight about what the problem is so that I can repair some of the other laptops that are not under warranty.

OhYou_

#9 Post by OhYou_ » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:52 pm

I sent it off and got it back from lenovo repairs.
They just replaced the entire board.
so much for some kind of explanation of the issue

they also took my wwan cable caps :( and left them just floating around