Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T430 - way to toggle disable the touchpad?

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
fatal_exception

T430 - way to toggle disable the touchpad?

#1 Post by fatal_exception » Sat May 28, 2022 2:47 am

Hello,

I'm loving the W10 where they dumbed down the drivers and there's no possibility to disable the touchpad in any way (or I haven't discovered it).

So, until recently I had a working hack where I used UltraNAV OSD app to select whether I want to have touchpad disabled or not. Having disabled trackpoint in BIOS, everything was just fine.
But I had to disassembly the whole thing to replace the screen along with the new FHD cable. Once I was done, before I started putting it back, I connected keyboard, checked if everything lights up and the system booted,
without palmrest plugged in. That's - I believe - the moment everything went sideways.

Seeing everything's ok, I shut down, screwed everything into place, started again and was surprised that accidental touch when I typed moved the mouse.

Went to Ultranav OSD and bam, "UltraNAV driver is not installed". But it was. I've reinstalled every synaptics/ultranav driver that I had (started with the ones that I had installed right after the W10 install).
Tried every driver from 2010 onwards that I could find, doing all the restarting and so on. Nothing makes that app recognize the fact that there's an ultranav driver.

So here I come to you guys, maybe someone knows a secret how to set that up or what to do to have the ability to disable the touchpad (with some app, shortcut key, or maybe automatically upon the usb mouse connection). Or maybe someone can take a look at the app and tell what kind of check it's performing before it starts, so that criteria could be met?
I will be happy to get anything.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: T430 - way to toggle disable the touchpad?

#2 Post by dr_st » Sat May 28, 2022 2:57 am

The T430 (like most, but not all Thinkpads) has an option to disable the touchpad in the BIOS (unde Config --> Keyboard/Mouse).
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

fatal_exception

#3 Post by fatal_exception » Sat May 28, 2022 3:43 am

Thanks, but while technically it meets the "toggle" criteria, it's in no way convenient. So let me stress that I want to have that capability without the need to go into the BIOS every time, same as I had until recently.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat May 28, 2022 4:02 am

On my T440p with T450 Alps touchpad and W7-Pro/SP1 I can disable the touchpad in Control Panel/Mouse/Thinkpad tab.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

fatal_exception

#5 Post by fatal_exception » Sat May 28, 2022 4:17 am

On W7 I could do basically everything I've wanted (primarily because the drivers for the pointing devices weren't crippled).

This isn't the same for W10, where they ripped out the "Thinkpad" tab in "control panel -> mouse" - see: https://i.imgur.com/Ti5nqKe.png
and in w10 options for the touchpad there's just one option (and even that one is useless), picrel: https://i.imgur.com/G0rvj4q.png

Microsoft says it's Lenovo's fault that they didn't add it to the driver and Lenovo staff says "it should be there" and points to the control panel for T450 upwards (where the option to automatically disable touchpad upon mouse connection is present).

fatal_exception

#6 Post by fatal_exception » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:01 pm

Ok guys, so I got it. It was a faulty (in some weird way) touchpad wafer. I tried plugging in a different palmrest and the options suddenly appeared. Did some mix 'n' match with cables, buttons, fingerprint reader and it was always the touchpad part that made Windows hide all the options.
Now, while ultranav osd is not only unsupported on T430 but actually W10 will forbid you from installing it (unless you do that from the built-in admin account), it's working perfectly fine.

One downside is that there's no possibility to disable both trackpoint and touchpad - it's either one or the other and the settings from unavosd synchronize with the ones in control panel -> mouse,
so to disable both, trackpoint has to be disabled in BIOS and setting the option to "enable trackpoint only" effectively disables both.