Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Replacement keyboard for T480 that works properly

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
tresho

Replacement keyboard for T480 that works properly

#1 Post by tresho » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:55 am

This is the 3rd keyboard I've bought for the T480 I bought in fall 2018. The previous ones developed different non-responsive keys (different ones for each keyboard), which testing vs. a known good external keyboard indicated the source of the problem is the keyboard itself.
Previous replacements were obtained either from eBay or Amazon. I tried the same route in the last few weeks. I got a supposedly OEM quality kb from Amazon. When I installed it I noticed there were just stickers on the keys unlike the OEM which seems to have the labels as part of the key surface. I also immediately noted the TrackPoint worked very poorly, it was extremely slow to respond. "Mouse Properties show the TrackPoint function as greyed out. Booting directly into BIOS showed no Trackpoint was recognized at the BIOS level. Updated BIOS to most recent value, same result. On testing the keyboard, one of the alphabet keys fell out and couldn't be properly replaced.
So I returned it to Amazon for a replacement. The replacement came a few days later (no charge to me) and its Trackpoint had the same properties and the same lack of recognition at the Mouse Properties level and at the BIOS level. I was puzzled that the Trackpoint had any functionality at all, but it was obviously NOT OEM quality, and I have returned it for a refund.
I went online to various forums about a solution, but found nothing relevant. No commenter I found anywhere indicated that if the TrackPoint isn't recognized at the BIOS level, it most likely cannot be made to work properly.
I went through Walmart online for my next chance, and ordered a replacement from a different supplier. I got that in a few days. Had the same exact problem with nonrecognition of the TrackPoint function. I am in the process of returning that for a refund.
So I went directly to Lenovo for my next try. I found the Lenovo parts website listed a OEM quality replacement keyboard. Total price with shipping & tax was DOUBLE the price at Amazon & Walmart, but it was worth it. About $72 USA.
I got my order from Lenovo about 4 days after I placed it online. It is truly OEM quality. Its TrackPoint worked out of the box, the keys are labeled in a very durable manner, and the key & Trackpoint action is excellent. The response of the alphabet keys is definitely than the fake boards I tried recently.