Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Confused what NVME adapter is compatible with my Lenovo Thinkpad T480

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
Cyber Akuma

Confused what NVME adapter is compatible with my Lenovo Thinkpad T480

#1 Post by Cyber Akuma » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:32 pm

I am trying to get a NVME adapter for my Lenovo T480, and I am getting confused which ones are compatible.

I originally ordered these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/176131607442

But the cable doesn't fit, on top of being a bit too long it's also much smaller than the connector on the motherboard. I noticed that the listing says "X270" so I assumed I messed up and ordered one for a different type of Lenovo model that is not compatible.

When searching for other listings however, I saw ones listed as for the T480 and T490, but others listed as being for "x270, T480, T490". Do these sellers have no idea what they are talking about claiming a X270 adapter will work on a T480? Or Are they the same adapter and the original seller I bought mine from screwed up and sent me something incorrect?

I also see two different model numbers listed. Nearly everyone seems to list the NS-A933 model when searching for one specifically saying it will work on a T480... but I see a model number 01AX994 listed as well.

Can someone help me with my confusion? I am a little lost now on what is compatible with this laptop and what I am supposed to be looking for.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Confused what NVME adapter is compatible with my Lenovo Thinkpad T480

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:17 am

The official Lenovo FRU is 01AX994.

The (printed) NS-A933 is the circuit-board's model number, visible on many pictures on eBay.
It is used by sellers who have not got a clue about Lenovo FRUs.

Presumably what you got is the correct caddy but with an X270-cable instead of a T470/T480-cable.
Those cables might be available separately.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)