Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Upgrading display for clement weather

X230 and later series specific matters only
spudger

Upgrading display for clement weather

#1 Post by spudger » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi, after some pretty arduous research, it appears the X250's 1920x1080 FHD IPS display is the brightest of any thinkpad that I can actually sort of afford, at an average of 365 nits or cd/m2. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Th ... 646.0.html

But it seems to be quite rare on ebay and so on - and I could do with saving a lot of money if possible. I can get one for £350, but that's a big expense for me. The thing is I don't need a high spec ultrabook - what I want is a thinkpad with the highest possible brightness, allowing me to work outside in direct sunlight. THAT'S ALL. If the decapitated R60e I'm using now could easily be used outdoors, I'd happily just get another one of these for £30-50.

So my question is, can I take the X250's 1920x1080 FHD IPS and put it in a cheaper X2xx model? Presumably I can stick it in the 1368x768 X250, but what about other X2xx models?

Or indeed can I install a super bright display in any other older thinkpads?

Cheers

p.s. if there's some convenient way to compare displays, their brightness values, and the models they're compatible with, please let me know!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Upgrading display for clement weather

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

Pity Notebookcheck doesn't tell exactly which LCD they are talking about.
If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can put such a (non-touch) screen in the X220 or X230, using nitrocaster's FHD-mod.
Read this (looooong story): viewtopic.php?f=43&t=122640
and viewtopic.php?f=43&t=120678
That same screen would also fit in the X240, with AND without touch-option for this one, depending on model.

If that R60e is a 15" 4:3 model, you could put in an IPS UXGA screen with LED-backlight, see: https://www.theboardroom.info/led_mod.html
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

spudger

#3 Post by spudger » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:04 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:43 pm
Pity Notebookcheck doesn't tell exactly which LCD they are talking about.
Ugh I know!

Thanks for the suggestions. Upgrading an old model may be the way to go, as per the last link. Because a 12.5" screen wouldn't be ideal anyway - that was a compromise for brightness. But what about actual brightness levels if I replace an R61 screen? Can I expect 350+ nits? Or clear sunlight readability?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:03 am

I have built many machines with such screens, but I don't have exact figures, only what general specs tell you.
Don't have any measuring equipment for that either.
UXGA LED HV150UX2-100: http://www.panelook.com/HV150UX2-100_HY ... 16987.html
The LED-one needs extra work and is fairly expensive. But the result is absolutely stunning!
UXGA CCFL LQ150U1LW22: http://www.panelook.com/LQ150U1LW22_SHA ... 10032.html
This Sharp screen was also used in many Dell laptops, and is remarkably good!
Both are IPS-style.

As for bright sunshine capable screens: you are rather weather-optimistic for a Brit... :mrgreen:

spudger

#5 Post by spudger » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:36 am

Ha! I'm going for a wander across Europe, you see. If I was living in a house in the UK, of course any old screen would do.

Both of those screens are <200 nits, so not ideal for working outdoors - whatever their other merits might be. Maybe if I manage to find a cheap T440s and get this screen for it http://www.panelook.com/B140HTN01.1_AUO ... 21687.html ... Something relatively light like that with a decent size screen and brightness would be ideal. But it needs a new trackpad too, for the trackpoint buttons, the trackpoint being the only reason I'm limiting my search to thinkpads. How frustrating

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:05 am

Maybe something smaller?
The X201T tablet had a 300-nit outdoor option?

Or else maybe look for a Panasonic Toughbook with 1200-nit screen?
https://www.windowscentral.com/panasoni ... book-cf-33
Older models will be way cheaper!

spudger

#7 Post by spudger » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:37 am

Yeah, I thought about a Panasonic toughbook, but I don't think I can do without the efficiency of a trackpoint. Most of my work involves typing and researching, and not having to move my hands too much between the two is important. But that's basically what I want - a toughbook with a trackpoint. There's also the Dell Latitude line, which seems to have both decent brightness (though not super duper brightness) and a trackpoint - but thinkpad users tend to think that trackpoint is awful.

I want to avoid small screens if possible. I know the X250 I originally mentioned is a 12.5-inch, but that was a compromise I was willing to make only for the sake of 300+ nit brightness. I think I may just end up getting the cheapest option that I can later upgrade the screen of - ideally with ease and without any soldering. It doesn't seem like it's asking that much but it's irritatingly hard to find a good solution.

I appreciate your suggestions, though. Thanks

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 am

This ThinkPad X1 Tablet (and the in there referred, cheaper Lenovo Miix 520) could be of interest!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=126587

ohiophotopro

#9 Post by ohiophotopro » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:31 pm

From what I noticed as far as brightness goes, 1080p x250 screen is about the same as 768p IPS on x240. Also x230 Tablet has two versions Gorilla glass screen that retains stylus support but does away with finger touch in exchange for a little bit of extra brightness, and regular matte screen, that has both finer touch and stylus support. As far as brightness per dollar goes, I think x230 Tablet with matte IPS screen will be most balanced option. I recently got i7 version from ebay for around a $100.