Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo X230 Keyboard Light

X230 and later series specific matters only
ComedyDave

Lenovo X230 Keyboard Light

#1 Post by ComedyDave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Hi,

First post, so please be gentle. Does the X230 have a keyboard light? If I press the 'Fn' key and space bar a little light next to the webcam comes on. I think this is called the 'Think light'? However I can't get the keyboard to light up? Can anyone help with this.

pure3d2

Re: Lenovo X230 Keyboard Light

#2 Post by pure3d2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:45 pm

Some models had a backlit keyboard (individual keys were lit) and the ThinkLight. Other units only had the ThinkLight, which is a light near the webcam that pointed down toward the keyboard.

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:15 pm

If the light-symbol on the spacebar points towards you, you only have the ThinkLight.
If it points towards the screen, you also have a backlit KB.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

ComedyDave

#4 Post by ComedyDave » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:53 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:15 pm
If the light-symbol on the spacebar points towards you, you only have the ThinkLight.
Thank you for that information.
The light symbol is pointing downwards. It is disappointing, because a keyboard that lights up is a basic feature. You would expected this machine to have a backlit keyboard. I needed a small powerful laptop for what I had to do and I didn't want to pay a for a brand new one and did some internet research and the x220 and X230 were critically acclaimed. I think i'll get over it

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:45 am

X220 does not have a backlit keyboard, but it has one major advantage (for loadz of people): it has the Classic 7-row keyboard.
X230 is the fist Thinkpad to come up with the new-fangled 6-row chicklet keys, with or without backlight.
Swappng them is easy.
There is even an option/mod to put the X220 KB in the X230.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

pure3d2

#6 Post by pure3d2 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:24 am

ComedyDave wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:53 am
RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:15 pm
The light symbol is pointing downwards. It is disappointing, because a keyboard that lights up is a basic feature. You would expected this machine to have a backlit keyboard. I needed a small powerful laptop for what I had to do and I didn't want to pay a for a brand new one and did some internet research and the x220 and X230 were critically acclaimed. I think i'll get over it
I can sell you my X230 backlit keyboard for a reasonable price compared to what people on eBay are asking. Once I get my X220 classic keyboards and complete the mods, the backlit keyboard will be out.

ComedyDave

#7 Post by ComedyDave » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:42 pm

pure3d2 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:24 am
ComedyDave wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:53 am

I can sell you my X230 backlit keyboard for a reasonable price compared to what people on eBay are asking. Once I get my X220 classic keyboards and complete the mods, the backlit keyboard will be out.
Thank you for offering me your keyboard, but i don't think i'm going to change it. I'm just going to live with it.