Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

9 Cell Extended Battery

X230 and later series specific matters only
ComedyDave

9 Cell Extended Battery

#1 Post by ComedyDave » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi,

I need the longer life extended 9 cell battery for my laptop. The non-branded battery is less than half-price. Has anyone bought the after market battery and is it worth it? Or should i just pay the money for the genuine item.

Thanks

ComedyDave

Re: 9 Cell Extended Battery

#2 Post by ComedyDave » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:20 am

Over 80 views and not a single reply! come on, somebody talk to me

wojtekS

#3 Post by wojtekS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 am

The problem with so called compatible chinese batteries is: first in 90% of cases they use the cheapest "no name" cells available, second the battery controller is a worse or better copy of the genuine one.

People complain that these batteries loose large part of their capacity just after a few month of use. Some of these batteries are recognised as "non genuine" by the laptop - and without hacking the EC firmware cannot be charged.

ComedyDave

#4 Post by ComedyDave » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:36 pm

wojtekS wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 am
The problem with so called compatible chinese batteries is: first in 90% of cases they use the cheapest "no name" cells available, second the battery controller is a worse or better copy of the genuine one.

People complain that these batteries loose large part of their capacity just after a few month of use. Some of these batteries are recognised as "non genuine" by the laptop - and without hacking the EC firmware cannot be charged.

Thanks for the reply. I did think as much. It's best to just pay the money and buy the genuine item.

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Cigarguy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Depends, not all 3rd party battery are the same. You get what you paid for. I try to buy from a distributer who is at least in my country that offers a decent warranty. On the most part I've had good luck with non-genuine batteries. They don't last as long but at a quarter the price I can afford to replace them twice as often and still be ahead. YMMV