Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X240/s: How-to replace the Clunkpad with an X250 Touchpad+buttons

X230 through X280, plus X390 series specific matters only
RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

X240/s: How-to replace the Clunkpad with an X250 Touchpad+buttons

#1 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:30 pm

How to install the X250 Synaptics touchpad+buttons driver in an X240/X240s:

1. Download this (Lenovo X250) Synaptics driver:
ONLY for W7, W8, W8.1 https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n10gw25w.exe do not install yet!

ONLY for W10 https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1cgr20w.exe do not install yet!

2. Go to Control Panel\Programs and UNinstall your current Synaptics/Alps drivers

3. Reboot

4. Doubleclick the X250 driver you just downloaded, run it, but UNtick the option to install now.
--- It will unpack to C:\DRIVERS\Win\UNAV

5. Go to C:\DRIVERS\Win\UNAV\WinWDF\X64\SynPD.inf for 64-bit (or X86\SynPD.inf for 32-bit)

6. Edit SynPD.inf and
--- find and delete all lines with LEN0035 in it (3 lines only!)
--- find all lines with LEN0046 and change LEN0046 into LEN0035 (3 lines only!)
--- save the file

LEN0035 is the X240/s hardware ID for both clunkpad and touchpad+buttons.
LEN0046 is the X250 hardware ID for the touchpad+buttons.

7. Go to C:\DRIVERS\Win\UNAV and doubleclick on Setup.exe
--- when Windows complains about unsigned stuff, click on "install anyway".

8. Reboot and enjoy!

9. Now go protect these W10 drivers against Micro$haft updates overwriting your hard work!

===============================================================
I have noticed that several people are having problems with the new touchpad and the trackpoint not working after replacing the X240 clunkpad.
Apparently the two flat cables (wider=keyboard, narrower= trackpoint) near the touchpad cable can relatively easy be dislocated, or even disconnected.
Check that they are fully and properly inserted!
(Does not apply to Tx40/Wx40)

===============================================================

See similar instructions to replace the Clunkpad on the T440/p

Edward Mendelson
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

Re: X240/s: How-to replace the Clunkpad with an X250 Touchpad+buttons

#2 Post by Edward Mendelson » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:35 pm

And a quick note to confirm that RBS's magic trick worked perfectly to bring back the trackpad in my X240s that RBS (himself!) had modified by replacing the clunkpad with an X250 touchpad. The replaced touchpad stopped working after a Windows 10 update, and RBS's method revived it.

I still plan to document the amazing work that RBS did on this machine. It's quite a saga, with RBS solving a dozen problems along the way.

sebileis
Freshman Member

#3 Post by sebileis » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:42 am

Will these drivers allow the scrolling in Metro apps to work? I installed the X250 trackpad in my X240 and the TrackPoint scrolling works in "classic" apps such as Chrome and Windows Explorer, but the Start menu and any of the modern UI apps only work with the touchpad scrolling, which I am trying to avoid using.
W540+T450 TP i7-4800MQ K1100M 16 GB RAM 240GB SSD
FrankenPad T601 UXGA LED AFFS X9000 8 GB RAM 240GB SSD
Dell Vostro 470 GTX 1080 i7 3770 16 GB RAM 2x250GB SSD+2x2TB HDD
MacBook A1181 T8300 4 GB RAM 160GB HDD

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:15 am

The above has been tested in W7 and W8.1 (by me) and in W10 (by Forum member Edward Mendelson)
I don't have, and never will have, anything to do with W10.
W10 has this br-ainless/-ight idea of changing drivers whenever Micro$haft feels like it.

Now go protect these W10 drivers against Micro$haft updates overwriting your hard work!

r2digital

#5 Post by r2digital » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:29 pm

So to start this thread was pretty helpful but it did not work for me. I purchased a X250 3 button touchpad to put into my x240. As soon as i did this i lost function of my touchpad completely. I decided to buy a new X240 trackpad because mine was worn out, when it arrived, i was shocked to find out that even a replacement x240 touchpad didnt work but the original that came with the laptop did. After a few hours of messing around i noticed that as soon as i uninstalled the synaptics driver(any version) the touchpad would function briefly so i knew it wasn't defective. Then, in order to get the drivers to install properly I had to boot into disable signed driver enforcement mode, install the correct drivers located in this post. Once the drivers were installed i decided to do a little more investigating as to why my touchpad was still disabled. Upon investigating i found that for some reason, when you go into device manager and look under system devices and scoll to synaptics SM BUS, then right click and disable it and the touchpad begins to function again and also shows up in the synaptics software immediatly. Disabling this device does not have any ill effects on gestures or touchpad functions as far as i know of. Everything appears to be working great over here. Anyway, after doing theses steps along with disabling ms from driver auto update feature my x250 pad now works in my x240. I hope this helps save some people from giving up completely on the trackpad swap

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:50 am

I have noticed that several people are having problems with the new touchpad and the trackpoint not working after replacing the X240 clunkpad.
Apparently the two flat cables (wider=keyboard, narrower= trackpoint) near the touchpad cable can relatively easy be dislocated, or even disconnected.

cbrace

#7 Post by cbrace » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:26 am

Hi all,

I ordered the following X250 palm rest (with touchpad): https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32625540 ... 4c4dZW7vUc

Last night I installed it on my X240. When I rebooted Linux, the touch pad is working, but not the three buttons alas.

Any thoughts on how to trouble-shoot this? The above-mentioned Windows driver instructions are obviously not applicable. :wink:

Also, as you can see in the images on the Aliexpress page above, the trackpad cable has these two long narrow "tails". What are these for? Do they need to be plugged in somewhere? The X240 palm rest doesn't have these. Not knowing what to do, I temporarily taped them to the top of the internal battery.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:19 pm

The long "tails" go to the fingerprint reader, after you put the keyboard (back) in.
If you don't want/need the FPR, you can cut the tails off.
No idea about Linux drivers.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

"Computers don't lie, but liars can compute." (Terry Hayes: I Am Pilgrim)

TPFanatic
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by TPFanatic » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:06 pm

I want to confirm the touchpad swap works for the S1 Yoga. I installed an X250 touchpad.
I was unsuccessful to install the modified driver however with the original linked driver the buttons and middle click work fine.
lenovo T420 i7 2670qm 16GB QHD + eGPU GTX 960
lenovo T430s i5 3230m 16GB QHD w/ optimus(RIP), lenovo T430 i5 3320m 8GB FHD, lenovo T500 P9700 8GB WUXGA(LED) w/ switchable graphics
Enable 2 finger scroll on old Synaptics touchpads with registry.

capricerun

#10 Post by capricerun » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:37 pm

Hello,
Has anyone gotten this to work in the lastest version of windows 10? The old hack with the file editing doesn't work. I have heard of someone doing a hack with thinkvantage, but the instructions to that were not clear. Would it work if I install an older version of Windows 10 then upgrade? If anyone knows anything about this problem let me know.

Edward Mendelson
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#11 Post by Edward Mendelson » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:33 pm

I got this method to work on the latest Win10 version (1909), though I'm not sure exactly how I did it. Basically, I kept installing and reinstalling (using a plugged-in mouse to navigate). When I finally got the ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing Device to install, on maybe the sixth or seventh try, I didn't restart immediately, but went to the Group Policy Editor and enabled Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs, and entered these three lines:

*ACPI\VEN_LEN&DEV_0035
ACPI\LEN0035
*LEN0035

Then I restarted and the touchpad seems to work correctly (though I had to lower sensitivity to avoid probems)

Hard-won advice: copy those three device ID lines into the Comment box in the menu for this setting so that you can find them again easily if you disable this setting before enabling it again.

atax112

#12 Post by atax112 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:52 pm

Hello, great guide.

I have followed the procedure, but have issues.

Cant install the modified drivers outside of test mode and without windows updating or removing it afterwards.

Even with the applied policy to deny the system changing the drivers, windows removes it after the test mode is disabled and thus the touchpad becomes an unknown device which wont update because of the policy = no touchpad at all.

This is driving me crazy, I had it working before on windows 10 before the re-install, I figured it wont be much of a trouble to install it now either.

I found a how to on signing the drivers myself with my own created certificate, was for win 7 with some minor updates for win 10 and at the end a tl;dr on win 10 the driver wont be trusted anymore when self-signed, there is a system wide signature needed as well...

I ran out of ideas at this point and starting to really regret getting an x240, installing an IPS screen, replacing the touchpad and getting a larger battery instead of an x230 with a usable, functioning touchpad.

Lenovo, what were you thinking when you came up with the pos touchpad the x240 has originally...

Thank you.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#13 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:47 am

Why can't you install under 'normal' mode? That doesn't make sense at all.
But that's Micro$haft for you.
Maybe you need to first fully shut down W10 (hold down the SHIFT key, then click the “Shut down” option in the Start Menu).

And as for clunkpads, maybe Lenovo should change its name to Le-no-go.

atax112

#14 Post by atax112 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:47 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:47 am
Why can't you install under 'normal' mode? That doesn't make sense at all.
But that's Micro$haft for you.
Maybe you need to first fully shut down W10 (hold down the SHIFT key, then click the “Shut down” option in the Start Menu).

And as for clunkpads, maybe Lenovo should change its name to Le-no-go.
Master$haft says that the driver was tampered with, since the edit of certain lines so it lost its signature/trust.

I have no idead how, but eventually after another couple hours I got it working, heres how:

I have enabled test mode, admin cmd: bcdedit /set testsigning on
Installed/updated the drivers through device manager.
Restarted, verified working, restarted.

Set the policy to deny driver updates for the specific ID, but uncheck for already installed devices.(this option removes the drivers after restart so its not working)

bcdedit /set testsigning off, restart

It stuck, it works, finally.

I consider this a small miracle and we have our firstborn on the way :D

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#15 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:00 am

atax112 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:47 am
Master$haft says that the driver was tampered with, since the edit of certain lines so it lost its signature/trust.
The instructions above clearly state: when Windows complains about unsigned stuff, click on "install anyway".

That should have let you install it in 'full' mode...

atax112

#16 Post by atax112 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:19 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:00 am
atax112 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:47 am
The instructions above clearly state: when Windows complains about unsigned stuff, click on "install anyway".

That should have let you install it in 'full' mode...
Yeah I know, but in normal mode it wont even ask, just tell me the installation failed because the driver was tampered with.
Once in test mode, it asks and installs when told to.

Might be changed in some update, no clue, but this is how it worked for me.

Psyduck91

#17 Post by Psyduck91 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:06 pm

I replaced the touchpad on my X240 a while ago and the trackpoint seemed to have stopped working as stated in another post. I've tried pulling out the blue ribbon cable near the trackpad and re-inserting it as suggested but the trackpoint option is still greyed out in the UltraNav options. It's enabled in the bios and was working prior to swapping out the touchpad. Does anyone know what else could be the problem? It's driving me crazy!
I've seen a few reddit threads and a video where they had to downgrade the drivers to an older version in order for the trackpoint to work. Could that be the issue?

I used the drivers that were provided in this thread and the physical left and right click buttons are working. Just the trackpoint is greyed out in the Ultranav options.

Psyduck91

#18 Post by Psyduck91 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:20 pm

Is the trackpoint supposed to show up as a separate item in device manager? I still have not been able to get it to work since the swap, the trackpoint is still grayed out in the settings. Maybe the cable is damaged?

Psyduck91

#19 Post by Psyduck91 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Has anyone with the trackpoint issue managed to fix the issue?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#20 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun May 17, 2020 11:45 pm

What OS are you using and did you mod the drivers as described above?

Psyduck91

#21 Post by Psyduck91 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:31 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:45 pm
What OS are you using and did you mod the drivers as described above?
I'm using windows 10. I modded the drivers, the new touchpad works but the trackpoint stopped working as you mentioned some others have experienced. In the lenovo synaptics driver, the option to choose the trackpoint is greyed out. I've re-inserted the cable as suggested but still nothing. It's enabled in the Bios so I'm not sure what happened here.

backlituser

#22 Post by backlituser » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:32 pm

I'm having issues with doing this on Windows 10, followed guide word-for-word and it just throws an error when I try to run setup.exe
Any alternative guides / tips. The trackpad works fine when I uninstall the driver but windows re-installs the X240 drivers automatically :x
Thanks!

Edward Mendelson
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#23 Post by Edward Mendelson » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:28 pm

It would help if you told us exactly what the error says.

Ampere79

#24 Post by Ampere79 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:23 pm

backlituser wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:32 pm
The trackpad works fine when I uninstall the driver but windows re-installs the X240 drivers automatically :x
This exactly. I've spent the past couple of hours trying to get the Synaptics driver installed and working, to no avail. Windows 10 recognizes it as a plug-and-play device just fine, with all three buttons working, but I keep loosing the buttons when the Synaptics driver gets installed. Even after the .inf edits.

Is there some advantage to the Synaptics driver? Or can I just use the Windows driver? I'd really like to get the TrackPad fully functional, if possible, but I don't want to throw more time at this.

EDIT: I take that back. The buttons work for clicking with the Windows driver, but I cannot hold and drag with it.
SL500 | X240 | Yoga 2 11 | X390

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#25 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:40 am

Did you follow the instructions in point 9?

Ampere79

#26 Post by Ampere79 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:51 am

I followed all the steps. See here for screenshots.

One note is that I had to restart with the cmd line

Code: Select all

shutdown /r /o /f /t 0
and navigate to Startup menu, Option 7 to get Windows to recognize the changed SynPD.inf file (and generate that error). Otherwise, I would just get an error when running Setup.exe and nothing would install (see screenshots for error image).

Basically, the outcome is that I have the driver installed, but no use of the buttons. Which kind of defeats the whole purpose of swapping out for the TrackPad. The alternative is using the Windows driver, which allows me to use the buttons with basic functionality but I don't have the Synaptics driver installed nor the TrackPad menu under the Mouse settings. Any advice to correct this would be much appreciated!

If it makes any difference, I am running the newest version of Windows 10 (2004), having just done a clean install. I also got the hint on how to restart the machine to force the driver installer to run here at the Lenovo community forum - this post is discussing installing the TrackPad on the ThinkPad Yoga, but many of the steps in esrevinu's post appear similar to the method proposed here. Not sure if something like that, adjusted for the X240, would be a good alternative or not.
SL500 | X240 | Yoga 2 11 | X390

Edward Mendelson
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#27 Post by Edward Mendelson » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:27 pm

I had a very hard time getting the Synaptics driver installed with the latest Windows 10 update, but finally got it to work - at least it's still running after two or three restarts.

It took about four tries, and I don't know what finally worked, but I think one thing MAY have been useful. I use EasyBCD (search and download) for easy modification of the BCD store; there's an option that lets you specify that a 64-bit Windows installation can use unsigned drivers. I set that option on my 64-bit system, and, after two or three tries, got the installation to remain there after a reboot. I also put my machine in airplane mode so Windows update couldn't operate, and waited until after I rebooted to run the Group Policy Editor routine. But again, I can't be sure if one or none of these was what solved the problem. All I can say is that after four or five tries, it finally worked.