Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Optimizing, tweaking, bloatware removal, etc for my new X230

X230 and later series specific matters only
roudiz

Optimizing, tweaking, bloatware removal, etc for my new X230

#1 Post by roudiz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:26 pm

Hello all, I have been reading the posts and gleaning useful info. I found an X220 thread a while ago that detailed what to do out of the box to your TP in order to optimize the experience, but need some guidance on this X230. I am mainly interested in speeding things up, the benchmark #s with the Windows performance indicators are poor (5.7) and the start and wakening times are not so great, despite my msata SSD running Win7 64 bit. Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you

roudiz

Re: Optimizing, tweaking, bloatware removal, etc for my new X230

#2 Post by roudiz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:45 pm

Any help would be appreciated. I cannot find the correct article via search or via Google.
Thank you :D

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Cigarguy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:43 am

Hard to help without more info. With proper install there is not much (if any) "tweaking" that is required on these laptops. Oh sure removing bloatware and unwanted software is always desirable for a lot of reasons. I for one don't like Thinkpad Access Connection so never install that in any of my TPs. Upon getting a new machine I typically do a clean install (especially with a new SSD) and install only the software that I want.

With regards to setting up Win 7 and SSD, there's not much to do besides running WEI which will set trim, garbage collection, hibernation off, etc for SSD. That's why Win 7 is considered very SSD friendly when compared to Win XP which required some tweaking. Ensure that your X230 is running in AHCI mode in BIOS, chances are that's what it is default to.

roudiz

#4 Post by roudiz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:40 am

Her is some of my info:

x230 laptop
Win 7 pro, sp1
i5 core 3210 (2.5 GHz)
4GB RAM
64 bit
320 GB 7200 rpm HDD (E drive)
128GB mSATA SSD (C drive)
Office 2003
Firefox 13.0.1
most bloatware removed

I have found that changing the pagefile size to 500/1000 makes FFox recover from hibernation without the dreaded "not responding"
But beyond this, nothing has helped boot times or awakening from hibernation or sleep. I expected nearly instant awakening from sleep and <30 second boot times with the SSD installed, but maybe I am missing some steps to optimize this system.

Happy to provide more detail. generically, I am really asking what I can do to exploit the system for all it can do, in particular in regard to speedy performance.

Thanks again.

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Cigarguy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:36 am

That's a pretty nice machine. You're right wake from sleep should be in seconds, <20 seconds from hibernation and almost as fast boot.

Did the SSD come with the laptop? If not, did you do a fresh install/recover yourself or did you clone over from the old HDD? Optimizing the SSD will certainly help. WEI is not a great benchmarking tool but is an adequate indicator. Benchmark your SSD using ATTO and report back. http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/17 ... v2.46.html

Once in a while leave your system idle overnight to allow garbage collection and trim to do it's thing.

As for removing bloatware that too is relative. IMO, bloatware is any software that is not useful to you so remove any software that fit in this category. What type of antivirus tool are you using? I find a lot of antivirus programs are resource hog but that will only affect operational speed after booting and/or system resume. I like using Windows Security Essentials. I use CCleaner to clean up the HDD, clean up the register, and disable unwanted startup items. CCleaner have a feature to disable startup items without having to remove it. That way it's easy to enable it later though I've found I've never had to do this. Adobe products in particular like to install a lot of startup items. I'll even disable MS Office startup stuff.

roudiz

#6 Post by roudiz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:20 am

Cigarguy wrote:That's a pretty nice machine. You're right wake from sleep should be in seconds, <20 seconds from hibernation and almost as fast boot.

Did the SSD come with the laptop? If not, did you do a fresh install/recover yourself or did you clone over from the old HDD? Optimizing the SSD will certainly help. WEI is not a great benchmarking tool but is an adequate indicator. Benchmark your SSD using ATTO and report back. http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/17 ... v2.46.html

Once in a while leave your system idle overnight to allow garbage collection and trim to do it's thing.

As for removing bloatware that too is relative. IMO, bloatware is any software that is not useful to you so remove any software that fit in this category. What type of antivirus tool are you using? I find a lot of antivirus programs are resource hog but that will only affect operational speed after booting and/or system resume. I like using Windows Security Essentials. I use CCleaner to clean up the HDD, clean up the register, and disable unwanted startup items. CCleaner have a feature to disable startup items without having to remove it. That way it's easy to enable it later though I've found I've never had to do this. Adobe products in particular like to install a lot of startup items. I'll even disable MS Office startup stuff.
The SSD is an mSATA disk that I bought online (MyDigitalSSD 128GB BP3 Bullet Proof 3 mSATA III (6G) SSD Solid State Drive - MDMS-BP3-128). It was cloned from the HDD that shipped with the unit, Lenovo does not ship OS disks with their laptops.

The AV I use is whatever Win 7 came with.

I have used CCleaner in the past but I am good with removing the usual Win components and cleaning the drive, I don't think that is an issue now for this new laptop in any case. I just want to exploit this system for all its worth and right now it is not as fast as it should be relative to my last one running 1.6 GHz with a 5200 rpm HDD.

I benchmarked w/ ATTO and got a bmk file, not sure what to do w/ it.

When you say idle, do you mean prevent it from sleep/hibernate? Are you sure an mSATA SSD needs to have trim? Are there any other maintenance issues I need to do with the SSD? I made the HDD the storage drive so that the SSD is mostly read not written to, I heard that prolongs the SSD life. I want this thing to last 5+ years.

Thanks for your help!

ducky2802

#7 Post by ducky2802 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Your WEI score may be based on your GPU, which will drag the score down. Also, pretty worthless to use IMHO, but does some internal software tricks for optimizing Win 7.

Clean install on your ssd, and start upgrading from there. Usually I do a BIOS update, I have Win 7 SP1 install usb stick, SSD intel driver, Intel CPU driver, WLAN update, power manager + hot key + (I think there is one more) to make all the Fn keys show up, Audio driver, MSE anti virus, and thats it. I customize my Win 7 a bit like turn off hibernation and system restore, turn on remote desktop and save a system image. Literally 20 min win 7 install, 10-15 min configuring, 10 min system image to USB hard drive or network backup. Then I load up my software and do another image, so I have 2-- basic will get me online and up and running and configured, ready with everything I need to be on my way. Usually never have to use first image, but its great when I load up image 2 with a projects worth of trial-ware and what not to go back to a clean slate in under 15 min.

Also, you can turn on UEFI bios boot which I did for my first time ever on the X230. I didnt see any performance gains on boot though. Pretty easy to configure your win 7 install usb stick to do UEFI, and I think its native to win 8.

SSD needs trim to stay in optimal shape as the years progress. Win 7 handles it natively so long as it knows its installed on an ssd. With a system image, I just do a secure erase about once a year and restore. Use AS-SSD to benchmark (really simple, no need to install anything).

barrywohl

#8 Post by barrywohl » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:21 am

"Optimizing for SSD" ??
What does this mean?
I pulled the traditional hard drive on my X230T when it arrived in August and installed a Crucial 500gb SSD. I'm running Windows 8 Pro x64 RTM. Do I need to tweak something to optimize for the SSD drive?
My WEI experience for the SSD is 8.1 and my overall WEI is 5.9, limited to 5.9 by the Intel graphics.
First Thinkpad 755CX in 1995. First IBM: PC 1982 8088 w 64K RAM, dual floppy. Currently in use:
X230T with Win8Pro x64, i7, 500gb ssd; W700 WUXGA RAID 1 Blu-Ray W7Pro x64, occasionally a T61p with Win7Pro x64

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#9 Post by bill bolton » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:58 pm

roudiz wrote:most bloatware removed
From your later comments, it sounds to me that you have removed things you probably should have left in place....

The Lenovo factory image OS is well tuned right out of the box :idea:

Cheers,

Bill B.

roudiz

#10 Post by roudiz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:23 pm

bill bolton wrote: From your later comments, it sounds to me that you have removed things you probably should have left in place....

The Lenovo factory image OS is well tuned right out of the box :idea:

Cheers,

Bill B.
Not sure what I implied. I did not remove any Lenovo software; in any case, it was never that fast and removing things has really had no effect thus far.

I am happy to provide a summary of the system if you can show me how to extract it in a way that can communicate things of interest to you.

Thanks Bill!!