Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

lost option factory restoration

X230 and later series specific matters only
Rodolphe

lost option factory restoration

#1 Post by Rodolphe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Hello ..

in first, excuse me for my poor english :oops:

I have a X230.
I did a new install of windows and partionning the HDD

Now when I launch F11 for recovery utilitiy,
- I select "Factory restoration"
- but at the last step, the system "windows recovery environment" restart
- windows restart, and appear the box "system recovery option",
- But in the box, "system recovery option",
there is not the option "factory restoration"... ??

please an idea ?

barrywohl

Re: lost option factory restoration

#2 Post by barrywohl » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:43 pm

You are fine to use Windows 8, lose the factory recovery option, and move on.

I have an X230T that I bought in August. I never booted Windows 7 on it. I bought a new SSD hard drive and installed Windows 8 Release Preview. Then, on October 26th, I downloaded and installed Windows 8 Pro x64 as a clean install. I have no Windows 7 recovery environment, and I really do not think I have lost anything worth caring about.

By the way, there is an X230 forum further down. The powers that be in ThinkPads.com have relegated the X230 to "non-Thinkpad" Lenovo computers forum down below. They did this because they resent the changes in the X230 keyboard from the X220 and earlier keyboards.

I've been using the X230T with the new keyboard since mid August, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. This is after using traditional ThinkPad keyboards from 1995 to 2012.

There is no accounting for taste. It seems silly to me but you are not the first to think that the ThinkPad X2xx/X30x Series forum should include the X230 series. I did for months.
Barry
First Thinkpad 755CX in 1995. First IBM: PC 1982 8088 w 64K RAM, dual floppy. Currently in use:
X230T with Win8Pro x64, i7, 500gb ssd; W700 WUXGA RAID 1 Blu-Ray W7Pro x64, occasionally a T61p with Win7Pro x64

GomJabbar

#3 Post by GomJabbar » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Rodolphe wrote: I did a new install of windows and partionning the HDD
You just erased the Factory Restore option from your hard drive. If you made the "ThinkVantage Recovery Media" onto DVD's, you could boot those and get the factory restore reinstalled on the hard drive. If you did not make the disks by now, it is too late (you erased that option with the new install of Windows).
DKB

Rodolphe

#4 Post by Rodolphe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:56 am

GomJabbar wrote:You just erased the Factory Restore option from your hard drive. If you made the "ThinkVantage Recovery Media" onto DVD's, you could boot those and get the factory restore reinstalled on the hard drive. If you did not make the disks by now, it is too late (you erased that option with the new install of Windows).
humm... I did not made the "ThinkVantage Recovery Media" .... what is exactly the "ThinkVantage Recovery Media" ? a backup of the system ?

I have notbackup

I made new partitions but no erase files ...

I have always all my files in the partition "system_drv" and "lenovo_recovery" ...... :roll: